Classic Hemmed Crewneck
This Classic Hemmed Crewneck is the sweater that never makes it back into my drawer. It lives either on my body or draped over the back of a chair, ready for next time. It’s the kind of perfectly simple, perfectly useful sweater that, when you’re not wearing it, you throw it in your bag “just in case.”
Pared down and flattering but roomy enough for layering, the Classic Hemmed Crewneck’s achieves subtle shaping with the use of only a few easy knitting techniques. One of them is the no-fuss hems that help give this sweater its name and which we carefully explain in our new Knit Hem video tutorial!
But this sweater wouldn’t be what it is without Purl Soho’s magical Flax Down. A single-ply blend of alpaca, wool, and linen, this yarn has a beautiful bloom that seems to make the fabric glow. Flax Down folds gracefully at the hemmed edges, submits happily to the raglan shaping, and feels soft and cozy against the skin.
My Classic Hemmed Crewneck goes everywhere with me these days and I’m confident, for many days to come as well. Make it your new just-in-case sweater, too! –Laura
UPDATE: NEW YARN
October 27, 2021
A sweater so nice, we made it twice: one in our original Flax Down, alpaca, extra fine merino, and linen, and one in our supremely soft extra fine merino and cashmere blend Cashmere Merino Bloom. See the new versions here!
Share your progress and connect with the community by tagging your pics with #PurlSoho, #PurlSohoBusyHands, #PurlSohoClassicHemmedCrewneck, and #PurlSohoFlaxDown. We can’t wait to see what you make!
In addition to a Purl Soho Classic Hemmed Crewneck pattern, you’ll need…
- 5 (6, 6, 7) (7, 8, 8, 9) skeins of Purl Soho’s Flax Down, 43% baby alpaca, 42% extra fine merino, 15% linen. Each skein is 219 yards/ 100 grams; approximately 1015 (1125, 1250, 1395)(1525, 1635, 1735, 1835) yards required. We used Heirloom White and Toasted Charcoal. (NOTE: We no longer offer Flax Down, but choose from one of our other light worsted/dk weight yarns.)
- US 7 (4.5mm), 32 or 40-inch circular needles, depending on sweater size
- US 7, 16-inch circular needles
- A set of US 7 double pointed needles
- US 6 (4mm), 16-inch circular needles (for Neckband)
- 4 stitch markers, including 1 of a unique color or shape for end-of-round
- 4 stitch holders or scrap yarn
NOTE: Looking to knit your sleeves in double-time? Swap the double pointed needles for 32-inch or longer circular needles, and check out our Magic Loop: Two At A Time Tutorial!
21 stitches and 28 rounds = 4 inches in stockinette stitch on larger needles
NOTE For help picking a size, please check out our Understanding Ease + Selecting Size Tutorial!
37¾ (42, 46, 50¼) (54½, 59, 63¼, 67½)
- To fit actual chest circumference 32–34 (35–39, 40–43, 44–47) (48–51, 52–56, 57–60, 61–64) inches, with approximately 3–7 inches of ease
- Finished Chest Circumference: 37¾ (42, 46, 50¼) (54½, 59, 63¼, 67½) inches
- Finished Length From Shoulder To Bottom Edge: 22¼ (23, 23¾, 24¾) (25¼, 25½, 26, 26½) inches
- Finished Length From Underarm To Bottom Edge: 13 (13½, 13¾, 14½) (14¾, 14¾, 15, 15) inches
SAMPLES: The Heirloom White sweater pictured here is Size 37¾ with 5 inches of ease. The Toasted Charcoal sweater pictured here is size 42.
The Classic Hemmed Crewneck pattern is available exclusively as a PDF download.