Purl Soho opened over a dozen years ago with the goal of spreading our passion for exceptional design, natural fibers, and crafting traditions. Our entire team of employees shares a love for all things fiber and needlecraft, an enthusiasm for the history and the future of crafting, and a deep interest in sharing our knowledge and connecting with kindred spirits. If you feel the same way, come work with us!
STORE MANAGER: NYC
We’re looking for a real leader to set the tone at our New York City shop. As Store Manager, you will be responsible for managing our retail team to the highest possible heights of customer service. This job requires someone with excellent leadership skills, who can manage people with authority and kindness; someone who sees solutions and opportunities instead of obstacles; someone with strong interpersonal skills, who is energetic, smart, and flexible and who has an interest in fiber arts. This is a full-time, fast-paced position, and candidates must be available to work weekends and during holidays. We have a lot of fun at Purl Soho, but we work hard, too! If this sounds like the job for you, please send your resume, your salary requirements, and a paragraph or two about why you would be a great Store Manager to email@example.com with the subject line Store Manager: NYC. We look forward to meeting you!
- Cultivate and execute a storewide culture of exceptional customer service in which every customer feels welcome and is treated with empathy, kindness, knowledge, enthusiasm, and respect
- Handle difficult or complicated customer issues with grace, compassion and expertise, taking every single customer’s needs to heart
- Manage team of Sales Associates with confidence, clarity, and respect and with a willingness to give constructive criticism and valuable feedback
- Foster camaraderie and morale within our retail team through positive reinforcement and team-building efforts
- Ensure that store meets daily/ weekly/ monthly/ quarterly/ annual goals by maintaining standards of customer service; report feedback and data to owners
- Assist in hiring and supervise training of skilled retail associates; provide team and owners with regular performance feedback
- Oversee Assistant Store Manager in their role of managing store operations
- Assist on the sales floor, modeling excellent salesmanship for Sales Associates and building relationships with customers
- An interest in handcrafts is a big plus!
The ideal candidate will have the following qualities and qualifications...…
- 3-5 years of management experience in a fast-paced, creative retail environment with an emphasis on exceptional customer service
- Strong communication skills with the ability to effectively work and communicate with a wide variety of people, including customers and store team
- Inherently positive, inspirational team leader
- Extensive knowledge of knitting and various fiber crafts
- BA or higher
- Experience with Lightspeed, Quickbooks or similar Point of Sale systems
FREELANCE PRODUCTION ARTIST/ ASSOCIATE GRAPHIC DESIGNER: NYC
Purl Soho is looking for a meticulous and hard working Production Artist/ Associate Graphic Designer. The person in this role is responsible for implementing the vision of the Creative Directors and Senior Graphic Designer. He or she will apply set standards to Purl Soho’s printed patterns and kit labels, as well as basic advertising, merchandising, and marketing for Purl Soho. The Production Artist/ Associate Graphic Designer also project manages our graphic output, tracking timelines, coordinating with printers, and updating our company’s shared project management platform, Asana.
This is a freelance job with the future possibility of joining our team in a full-time salaried position. If you live in the New York City area and you’re a great team player, have a rigorous eye for detail, as well as design, and are incredibly organized, we’d love to meet you! Please send a cover letter, resume, salary requirements, and portfolio to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line Production Artist/ Associate Graphic Designer.
- Layout patterns and labels according to set standard layouts
- Troubleshoot when information does not fit into standard layout
- Accurately pick up edits for all patterns and labels
- Turn printed pattern layouts into downloadable PDFs
- Style schematics and templates
- Get all standard estimates from printer
- Send digital files for proofs to printer
- Track and help to approve proofs for print
- Update yarn labels for new yarns and new yarn colors
- Put text on all promotional images, both digital and print
- Put product design sketches into digital format
- Based in New York City
- A college degree in graphic design or relevant work experience
- 2-4 years of production and/or graphic design experience
- In-depth experience with Adobe Suite
- Experience with editing photos in Photoshop, Lightroom, and/or Capture One
PART TIME WAREHOUSE ASSOCIATE: IRVINE, CALIFORNIA
Do you love crafting and beautiful supplies? Come work behind the scenes at Purl Soho! We are looking for a capable Warehouse Associate to support our company's warehouse operations. You will stock, organize, and ship inventory, perform various warehouse activities, and provide excellent customer service via phone, email, and in-person. This part-time position is at our warehouse in Irvine, California. To apply, please email us your resume, availability, and salary requirements.
- Pick, process, package, and ship orders accurately
- Cut fabric yardage to precise measurements using a rotary cutter
- Inspect products for defects and damages
- Organize and tidy warehouse space
- Unload and restock incoming inventory items appropriately
- Answer customer phone calls and assist with questions regarding orders and inventory
- Assist in-person customers
- Assemble crafting kits to company specifications
- Count inventory
- Abide by all company safety and hygiene regulations
- Perform all other assigned duties
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability to work comfortably in a small, collaborative environment
- Punctuality, attention to detail, and a focus on quality control
- Polite and cheerful attitude with customers (and co-workers!)
- Ability to lift or move up to 30 pounds
- Must be able to stand or walk for up to 3 hours at a time
- Familiarity with Apple computers
- High school diploma
- Must be ale to work weekends
- A passion for crafts, especially knitting, crocheting, and/or sewing
- Ability to answer customer questions regarding knitting and crochet patterns and other crafting projects
FULL OR PART TIME SALES ASSOCIATE: NYC
Purl Soho’s New York City retail store is looking to add new sales associates to our team! Are you a needlecraft expert with a love for all the beautiful tools and materials you need to make them? Are you great at communicating with strangers and sharing your knowledge? Can you work independently in a sometimes-hectic environment? Are you positive, friendly and fun to be around? Yes, yes, yes and yes? Then, please email us your resume, a paragraph about why you want to work at Purl Soho, and 3 photos of your work in PDF format. We want to interview you!
FREELANCE SAMPLE MAKER: NYC
Purl Soho is looking for meticulous and reliable Sample Makers to hand knit, crochet, weave, bead, or embroider our designs! Our ideal Sample Maker is communicative and industrious and is also a critical thinker and impeccable crafter. This is a freelance job that requires close communication with Purl Soho’s designers and Design Coordinator, and candidates must live in the New York City area. If you are interested, please email us a cover letter describing your crafting background and please also include some photos of projects you have created. We look forward to seeing your work!
FREELANCE HAND KNITTING PATTERN DESIGNER: NYC
Are you an expert knitter with a keen sense of design, who is also capable of writing an excellent pattern? Are you familiar with our company and does its aesthetic strike a chord in your heart? Join the Purl Soho design team as a Hand Knitting Pattern Designer! In this freelance position, you will create original hand knitting designs for publication and use on Purl Soho’s website. You will work closely with the Creative Team to design accessories and housewares according to the company’s vision and needs. You will also write the patterns for your designs, communicating with Sample Makers and Editors to complete an accurate, accessible pattern aligned with Purl Soho’s standards. Finally, you will work closely with the Design Coordinator to ensure that projects are completed on time and as expected. If this sounds like the job for you and you live in the New York City area, please send a cover letter, resume, and photographs of (or links to) the original patterns you've created that you think would most fit into our brand vision to email@example.com. We look forward to meeting you!
- Create original hand knitting designs
- Use Creative Officers’ design direction to create swatches, sketches, and samples of fresh ideas
- Attend design meetings to present ideas to Creative Team
- Discuss and decide on construction and pattern approach
- Design within parameters of Purl Soho’s materials and resources
- Take design suggestions from Team and implement them
- Write comprehensive knitting pattern for design
- Write complete and accurate pattern according to Purl Soho style standards
- Note where measurements and how-to photos need to be taken
- Be available to answer questions and receive notes
- If very simple, grade pattern for standard sizes
- Consider customer's point of view: approachability, efficient use of materials, instructive techniques, etc
- Provide final measurements and gauge
- Finalize materials used, their quantities and colors
- Answer all editors' questions in a timely manner
- Be available to answer questions from Comment Team, if necessary
FREELANCE INSTRUCTOR: NYC
We’re looking for knowledgeable, dependable, patient, and friendly instructors to share their skills and talents! Our classes cover basic techniques from knitting to tapestry weaving and are usually based on our own projects and patterns. Our students include people working on new techniques, brand-new crafters, and those who just need a bit of a refresher. If helping fellow fiber lovers learn something new sounds like a great way to spend a few hours, we want to hear from you! This freelance position takes place in our Soho shop during evening and weekend hours and requires close communication with our Class Coordinator. Please take a look at our current offerings (https://www.purlsoho.com/classes-and-events/), then send a resume that highlights your teaching experience and a paragraph about your crafting proficiencies to firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to meeting you!
We are also always looking for friendly and enthusiastic people who love helping customers and sharing their passion for materials and crafts. Our New York City staff works in our busy Soho store, while our Orange County, California employees maintain our website, warehouse and shipping facility. If you’re in either location and are interested in joining the team, please send your resume and 3 photos of your work in pdf format to email@example.com. We will keep your information on file and will let you know if we have an opening for you!