Purl Soho opened over a dozen years ago with the goal of spreading our passion for exceptional design, natural fibers, and crafting traditions. Our entire team of employees shares a love for all things fiber and needlecraft, an enthusiasm for the history and the future of crafting, and a deep interest in sharing our knowledge and connecting with kindred spirits. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Purl Soho celebrates diversity and is committed to inclusivity. We do not discriminate in our hiring, compensating, or promoting practices, and we value employees from all backgrounds, cultures, and perspectives. Whoever you are, wherever you're from, we want to meet you!
FULL- AND PART-TIME SALES ASSOCIATES: NYC
Purl Soho’s New York City retail store is looking to add new sales associates to our team! Are you a needlecraft expert with a love for all the beautiful tools and materials you need to make them? Are you great at communicating with strangers and sharing your knowledge? Can you work independently in a sometimes-hectic environment? Are you positive, friendly and fun to be around? Yes, yes, yes and yes? Then, please email us your resume, a paragraph about why you want to work at Purl Soho, and 3 photos of your work in PDF format. We want to interview you!
FULL-TIME WAREHOUSE ASSOCIATE: IRVINE, CALIFORNIA
Do you love crafting and beautiful supplies? Come work behind the scenes at Purl Soho! We are looking for a capable Warehouse Associate to support our company's warehouse operations. You will stock, organize, and ship inventory, perform various warehouse activities, and provide excellent customer service via phone, email, and in-person. This full-time position is at our warehouse in Irvine, California. To apply, please email us your resume, availability, and salary requirements.
- Pick, process, package, and ship orders accurately
- Cut fabric yardage to precise measurements using a rotary cutter
- Inspect products for defects and damages
- Organize and tidy warehouse space
- Unload and restock incoming inventory items appropriately
- Answer customer phone calls and assist with questions regarding orders and inventory
- Assist in-person customers
- Assemble crafting kits to company specifications
- Count inventory
- Abide by all company safety and hygiene regulations
- Perform all other assigned duties
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability to work comfortably in a small, collaborative environment
- Punctuality, attention to detail, and a focus on quality control
- Polite and cheerful attitude with customers (and co-workers!)
- Ability to lift or move up to 30 pounds
- Must be able to stand or walk for up to 3 hours at a time
- Familiarity with Apple computers
- High school diploma
- Must be ale to work weekends
- A passion for crafts, especially knitting, crocheting, and/or sewing
- Ability to answer customer questions regarding knitting and crochet patterns and other crafting projects
FREELANCE PRODUCTION ARTIST/ ASSOCIATE GRAPHIC DESIGNER: NYC
Purl Soho is looking for a meticulous and hard working Production Artist/ Associate Graphic Designer. The person in this role is responsible for implementing the vision of the Creative Directors and Senior Graphic Designer. He or she will apply set standards to Purl Soho’s printed patterns and kit labels, as well as basic advertising, merchandising, and marketing for Purl Soho. The Production Artist/ Associate Graphic Designer also project manages our graphic output, tracking timelines, coordinating with printers, and updating our company’s shared project management platform, Asana.
This is a freelance job with the future possibility of joining our team in a full-time salaried position. If you live in the New York City area and you’re a great team player, have a rigorous eye for detail, as well as design, and are incredibly organized, we’d love to meet you! Please send a cover letter, resume, salary requirements, and portfolio to email@example.com with the subject line Production Artist/ Associate Graphic Designer.
- Layout patterns and labels according to set standard layouts
- Troubleshoot when information does not fit into standard layout
- Accurately pick up edits for all patterns and labels
- Turn printed pattern layouts into downloadable PDFs
- Style schematics and templates
- Get all standard estimates from printer
- Send digital files for proofs to printer
- Track and help to approve proofs for print
- Update yarn labels for new yarns and new yarn colors
- Put text on all promotional images, both digital and print
- Put product design sketches into digital format
- Based in New York City
- A college degree in graphic design or relevant work experience
- 2-4 years of production and/or graphic design experience
- In-depth experience with Adobe Suite
- Experience with editing photos in Photoshop, Lightroom, and/or Capture One
FREELANCE SAMPLE MAKER: NYC
Purl Soho is looking for meticulous and reliable Sample Makers to hand knit, crochet, weave, bead, or embroider our designs! Our ideal Sample Maker is communicative and industrious and is also a critical thinker and impeccable crafter. This is a freelance job that requires close communication with Purl Soho’s designers and Design Coordinator, and candidates must live in the New York City area. If you are interested, please email us a cover letter describing your crafting background and please also include some photos of projects you have created. We look forward to seeing your work!
FREELANCE HAND KNITTING PATTERN DESIGNER
We are also always on the lookout for talented freelance designers to create patterns for Purl Soho using our yarns! Designers must have solid experience writing accessible, accurate patterns for hand knitters. We are also particularly excited by designers who share a similar aesthetic. Interested? Let us know what you have mind by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org
FREELANCE INSTRUCTOR: NYC
We’re looking for knowledgeable, dependable, patient, and friendly instructors to share their skills and talents! Our classes cover basic techniques from knitting to tapestry weaving and are usually based on our own projects and patterns. Our students include people working on new techniques, brand-new crafters, and those who just need a bit of a refresher. If helping fellow fiber lovers learn something new sounds like a great way to spend a few hours, we want to hear from you! This freelance position takes place in our Soho shop during evening and weekend hours and requires close communication with our Class Coordinator. Please take a look at our current offerings (https://www.purlsoho.com/classes-and-events/), then send a resume that highlights your teaching experience and a paragraph about your crafting proficiencies to email@example.com. We look forward to meeting you!
We are also always looking for friendly and enthusiastic people who love helping customers and sharing their passion for materials and crafts. Our New York City staff works in our busy Soho store, while our Orange County, California employees maintain our website, warehouse and shipping facility. If you’re in either location and are interested in joining the team, please send your resume and 3 photos of your work in pdf format to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will keep your information on file and will let you know if we have an opening for you!