Classic Hemmed Crewneck In Cashmere Merino Bloom
If you’re going to hand knit one sweater this fall, make it the kind whose fit is so easy-going and whose details are so timeless that you want to wear it every day. Our Classic Hemmed Crewneck is just the ticket! Knit from the bottom up with knit-in hems and raglan shaping, it is as neat as a pin and as fresh as a daisy.
Originally knit up in our Flax Down (no longer available), a blend of baby alpaca, extra fine merino, and linen, we’ve done that again (in Heirloom White), but also couldn’t resist seeing it in our Cashmere Merino Bloom (here in Icicle Blue).
Both are incredibly soft and beautiful, but one difference is Cashmere Merino Bloom’s traditional, tidy spin versus Flax Down’s single-ply structure with a slightly more rustic, from-the-farm appearance.
Flax Down is also a less expensive option because it doesn’t include cashmere. Choices… But one thing’s for sure, your Classic Hemmed Crewneck will be a favorite!
Originally designed by Purl Soho designer, Laura Ferguson.
Share your progress + connect with the community by tagging your pics with #PurlSoho, #PurlSohoBusyHands, #PurlSohoClassicHemmedCrewneck, and #PurlSohoCashmereMerinoBloom. We can’t wait to see what you make!
- 6 (6, 7, 8) (8, 9, 9, 10) skeins of Purl Soho’s Cashmere Merino Bloom, 75% extra fine merino and 25% cashmere. Each skein is approximately 218 yards; approximately 1140 (1265, 1405, 1570) (1705, 1830, 1940, 2055) total yards required. We used the color Icicle Blue.
- 5 (5, 6, 7) (7, 8, 8, 9) skeins of Purl Soho’s Flax Down, 43% baby alpaca, 42% extra fine merino, and 15% linen. Each skein is approximately 219 yards; approximately 985 (1090, 1210, 1350) (1470, 1580, 1675, 1770) total yards required. We used the color Heirloom White. (NOTE: We no longer offer Flax Down, but choose from one of our other light worsted/dk weight yarns.)
You will also need…
- US 7 (4.5 mm), 32- or 40-inch circular needles, depending on size you are making
- US 7, 16-inch circular needles
- A set of US 7 double pointed needles
- US 6 (4 mm), 16-inch circular needles
- Stitch markers, including one unique
- Stitch holders or scrap yarn
NOTE: Looking to knit your sleeves in double-time? Swap the double pointed needles for 32-inch or longer circular needles, and check out our Magic Loop: Two At A Time Tutorial!
21 stitches and 28 rounds = 4 inches in stockinette stitch on larger needles
37¾ (42, 46, 50¼) (54½, 59, 63¼, 67½)
To fit actual chest circumference 32–34 (35–39, 40–43, 44–47) (48–51, 52–56, 57–60, 61–64) inches, with approximately 3–7 inches of ease
- Finished Chest Circumference: 37¾ (42, 46, 50¼) (54½, 59, 63¼, 67½) inches
- Finished Length from Shoulder to Bottom Edge: 22¼ (23, 23¾, 24¾) (25¼, 25½, 26, 26½) inches
- Finished Length from Underarm to Bottom Edge: 13 (13½, 13¾, 14½) (14¾, 14¾, 15, 15) inches
Sample: The sweaters shown here are sizes 37¾ (in Flax Down) and 42 (in Cashmere Merino Bloom). The size 42 is worn with 3½ inches of ease.
The Classic Hemmed Crewneck is available as a PDF only.