Ridgeline Wrap Cardigan
Our Ridgeline Wrap Cardigan taps into the drama of nature itself: the ebbs and flows, the bends and curves, the skyline of the Alps, the peak of Mount Fuji, the ups and downs of the Rocky Mountains.
Great for beginners on a quest for their first dramatic achievement and also for more experienced knitters who are always up for beauty, this pattern is perfectly straightforward. Its body is knit bottom up in 2×2 rib, and the set-in sleeves are picked up and knit in the round with short-row shoulder shaping. The sweeping shawl collar grows right out of the body, and stockinette sleeves envelop the wearer’s arms without constricting them.
The perfect layering piece, wear your Ridgeline Wrap Cardigan under coats or on top of finer knits as a generous overcoat. Wear the waterfall front open to swish and sway in an early-fall breeze or belted and buckled to add structure to your look.
And what better yarn to create such a natural beauty than our Flax Down? A combination of baby alpaca, extra fine merino, and linen, our Flax Down collection just welcomed nine beautiful new colors, including the Dark Iris color we used here. Full of life and richness, it still reads as an everyday neutral that somehow goes with most everything!
Even if your next mountain adventure isn’t on the horizon, wearing your own hand-knit Ridgeline Wrap Cardigan will transport you there, like you’re on top of the world!
Designed for Purl Soho by Adam Aronowitz.
Share your progress and connect with the community by tagging your pics with #PurlSoho, #PurlSohoBusyHands, #PurlSohoRidgelineWrapCardigan, and #PurlSohoFlaxDown. We can’t wait to see what you make!
- 10 (10, 11, 12) (13, 14, 15, 16) skeins of Purl Soho’s Flax Down, 43% baby alpaca, 42% extra fine merino, and 15% linen. Each skein is 219 yards/ 100 grams; approximately 1995 (2145, 2360, 2560) (2830, 2990, 3200, 3380) yards required. We used the color Dark Iris (and also Fresh Nutmeg, shown in the banner photos at the top of this page).
- US 6 (4 mm), 40-inch circular needles
- A set of US 6 double pointed needles
- Stitch markers
- Stitch holders or scrap yarn
- A Ridgeline Wrap Cardigan Pattern
32 stitches and 32 rows = 4 inches in 2×2 rib
23 stitches and 34 rows = 4 inches in stockinette stitch
NOTE For help picking a size, please check out our Understanding Ease + Selecting Size Tutorial!
34½ (38½, 42½, 46½) (50½, 54½, 58½, 62½) inches, closed
To fit actual chest circumference of 30–33 (34–37, 38–41, 42–45) (46–49, 50–53, 54–57, 58–61) inches, with approximately 2–5 inches of ease
- Finished Chest Circumference: 34½ (38½, 42½, 46½) (50½, 54½, 58½, 62½) inches, closed
- Finished Length From Shoulder To Back Bottom Edge: 27 (27½, 29¼, 29¾) (31½, 32, 32½, 33) inches
- Finished Sleeve Length: 18 inches
SAMPLE: The sweater pictured here is size 34½ with 3 inches of ease.
The Ridgeline Wrap Cardigan is available for purchase as a PDF download.