Brandi Cheyenne Harper For Purl Soho: Shawl Collar Jacket
Under the watchful eye of designer Brandi Cheyenne Harper, each and every stitch has its place and does it job. The result? A joyful knitting experience and the Shawl Collar Jacket, a classic sweater you will reach for again and again.
This jacket features a voluminous shawl collar that makes a statement (“You should be cozy!”), and stars Brandi’s favorite method for construction: two pieces, knit and joined at the center back seam. Once the collar is completed, she picks up stitches from its I-cord edge, and the rest of the sweater knits up, from top down, in a wink.
Brandi has a knack for making bold statements out of simple details, like this sweater’s reverse stockinette raglan lines, which meet under the arms and continue down the body. Or the I-cords and prominent decreases that add striking lines, structure, and clarity to the design.
A great tool for getting some extra flair from simple stitches? Our super bulky, super gorgeous Woolly Wool! This single ply, 100% warm and cozy wool, is soft to the touch but keeps those details looking crisp.
Woolly Wool’s twenty colors come in double-sized 200-gram skeins, so that you get the joy of knitting on giant needles but don’t have to join a new skein every five minutes. Cast on and get cozy with your favorite color!
Designed (and modeled!) for Purl Soho by Brandi Cheyenne Harper. Brandi designs and writes books on how to make modern, handmade knitwear. Through her work, she promotes rest, creativity, and nourishing the simple joys of everyday life.
Share your progress and connect with the community by tagging your pics with #PurlSoho, #PurlSohoBusyHands, #PurlSohoShawlCollarJacket and #PurlSohoWoollyWool. We can’t wait to see what you make!
- 6 (6, 7, 7) (8, 9, 10) skeins of Purl Soho’s Woolly Wool, 100% wool. Each skein is approximately 109 yards/ 200 grams; approximately 615 (655, 725, 760) (860, 950, 1050) yards required. We used Heirloom White and Blossom Pink.
- US 15 (10 mm), 16-inch circular needles
- US 15, 40- or 47-inch circular needles, depending on size you are making
- A set of US 15 double pointed needles
- A US N (10 mm) crochet hook for Provisional Cast On
- A yard of bulky-weight scrap yarn for Provisional Cast On
- Stitch markers
- Stitch holders or scrap yarn
- A Shawl Collar Jacket Pattern
8½ stitches and 16 rows = 4 inches in garter stitch
38 (41¾, 45¾, 49½) (55¼, 61¼, 67)
To fit actual chest circumference of approximately 32–35 (36–39, 40–43, 43–46, 49–52) (55–58, 61–64) inches, with about 3–6 inches of positive ease
- Finished Chest Circumference: 38 (41¾, 45¾, 49½) (55¼, 61¼, 67) inches
- Finished Length from Back Neck to Bottom Edge: 18 (18½, 19, 19½) (21½, 23, 23½) inches
- Finished Sleeve Length from Underarm: 18½ (18½, 18½, 18½) (17½, 17½, 17½) inches
Sample: The sweaters shown here are size 45¼ inches, worn with about 2 inches of ease.
The Shawl Collar Jacket Pattern is available for purchase as a PDF download only.