Our nuts-for-stripes Stripey Tube Scarf can go in so many directions… Young and fun, bold and dashing, subtle and sophisticated. But the knitting itself is straightforward. You just knit!
But lest you bore easily, what keeps things interesting here is the alternating rounds of color. As one skein ends and another begins, colors shift, new relationships form, and surprises happen. This is a scarf that compels you to the next skein and right to the end!
Nice and long, but more importantly doubly thick, the Stripey Tube Scarf is exponentially warmer than its single thickness friends. This scarf also resolves the age-old problem of stockinette scarves curling into tubes by working the conundrum into the concept!
We used our wonderfully cozy Super Soft Merino Bundles to knit up our two distinctly different Stripey Tube Scarves. From Soft Black to Heirloom White and exploring all the territory in between, this version above and below, uses the graphic Sketchbook palette.
And for the version below, we used the rich and colorful Super Soft Merino Bundle in Dahlia Garden for a whole different look. There are six Bundles to choose from, or customize your own with seven skeins of Super Soft Merino. Whatever colors you choose, this fabulous winter warmer is a ton of fun!
We used a Super Soft Merino Bundle, which includes…
- 7 skeins of Purl Soho’s Super Soft Merino, 100% merino wool. We used…
- Dahlia Garden: Color A is Yellow Yellow; Color B is Turmeric Yellow; Color C is Honey Pink; Color D is Grapefruit Pink; Color E is Super Pink; Color F is Purple Clover; Color G is Rose Granite
- Sketchbook: Color A is Soft Black; Color B is Lucky Magpie; Color C is Toasted Charcoal; Color D is Heirloom White; Color E is Oatmeal Gray; Color F is Stillwater Blue; Color G is Salt + Pepper
You’ll also need…
- US 13, 16-inch circular needles
Our Super Soft Merino Bundles come in four more palettes! They are…
- Top Row
- Garden Fence: Color A is Yellow Yellow; Color B is Turmeric Yellow; Color C is Super Pink; Color D is Artemisia Green; Color E is Gray Denim; Color F is Heirloom White; Color G is Oatmeal Gray
- Adobe: Color A is Heirloom White; Color B is Oatmeal Gray; Color C is Honey Pink; Color D is Rose Granite; Color E is Sea Salt; Color F is Oyster Gray; Color G is Turmeric Yellow
- Bottom Row
- Coastline: Color A is Heirloom White; Color B is Oyster Gray; Color C is Oatmeal Gray; Color D is Artemisia Green; Color E is Peacock Blue; Color F is Stillwater Blue; Color G is Timeless Navy
- Fig: Color A is Heirloom White; Color B is Sea Salt; Color C is Rose Granite; Color D is Lavender Opal; Color E is Purple Smoke; Color F is Gray Fig; Color G is Trout Brown
11 stitches = 4 inches in stockinette stitch
Finished dimensions: 9 inches wide x 78 inches long
Finished circumference: 18 inches
For a few tips on knitting these stripes, visit our Stripes in the Round Tutorial!
With Color A, cast on 50 stitches.
Place a marker and join for working in the round, being careful to not twist the stitches.
Knit every round for 5 1/2 inches.
Joining Color B…
With Color B, knit one round.
With Color A, knit one round.
Repeat last two rounds until you run out of Color A, ending with a Color B round.
Now joining Color C…
With Color C, knit one round.
With Color B, knit one round.
Repeat last two rounds until you run out of Color B, ending with a Color C round.
Continue in this pattern through Colors D, E, F, and G, ending Color G with 5 1/2 inches of knitting every round.
Bind off loosely and weave in the ends!