We had gray winter landscapes (and wardrobes!) in mind when we created our Hummingbird Pullover, named for its bright colors, feathery texture, and lightness of spirit!
Brilliant color and texture taking center stage, we kept this construction classic. The Hummingbird Pullover knits in the round from the bottom up with raglan-shaped shoulders. The resulting fit is loose and roomy, light and fluffy, perfect for layering over tees or thermals.
Along the way you’ll find little thoughtful details: a split hem along the bottom ribbed edge, architectural shoulder decreases, and a neckline that folds under to the inside for a soft, rounded finish.
Simple in construction and design, the Hummingbird Pullover really takes flight with our mohair-silk Tussock. A fine laceweight with substantial body and bloom, you’ll hold two strands of Tussock together for a fun, lofty fabric. Go all-in on one color, or like we did, choose two to create visual depth and a distinctive marle.
Whether you’re a color maximalist or tend to keep to neutrals, the Hummingbird Pullover is downy, soft, and feather light, a rare bird!
Designed for Purl Soho by Adam Aronowitz.
- Purl Soho’s Tussock, 60% super fine kid mohair and 40% silk.
- Color A: 4 (4, 5, 5, 6, 6) skeins. We used Alpine Phlox.
- Color B: 4 (4, 5, 5, 6, 6) skeins. We used Bright Thistle.
- US 6, 24-inch circular needles
- A set of US 6 double pointed needles
- US 7, 40-inch circular needles
- US 7, 24-inch circular needles
- A set of US 7 double pointed needles
- US 3, 16-inch circular needles
- US 2, 16-inch circular needles
- Stitch markers, including one unique marker
- Stitch holders or scrap yarn
- A Hummingbird Pullover Pattern
24 stitches and 30 rows = 4 inches in stockinette stitch on largest needles, holding one strand of Color A and B together
40¼ (44¼, 48¼, 52¼, 56¼, 60¼)
To fit actual chest circumference of 28–31 (32–35, 36–39, 40–43, 44–47, 48–51) inches, with 9–12 inches of ease
- Finished Chest Circumference: 40¼ (44¼, 48¼, 52¼, 56¼, 60¼) inches
- Finished Length From Shoulder To Bottom Edge: 23 (23¾, 25¼, 25¾, 27¼, 27¾) inches
- Finished Sleeve Length From Underarm To Cuff: 15 (15, 15½, 15½, 16, 16) inches
SAMPLE: The sweater pictured here is size 44¼ inches with 10 inches of ease.
The Hummingbird Pullover Pattern is available for purchase as a PDF download only.