It’s unlike us to fiddle with a classic, but when an oldie-but-goodie can use an update, we’re willing to tinker a bit. Such is the case with our looks-great-on-everyone roll neck Purl Soho Pullover. What better time than now, with fall supposedly around the corner, to revisit one of our most popular sweaters?
Knit in the round from the bottom up, this Pullover’s simple rolled edges float around the wrists, neck, and hips. At the yoke, stacked set-in sleeve decreases ease into sloping saddle shoulders, an understated and very flattering touch.
Because the shape and style adapt to the wearer, the Purl Soho Pullover Pattern includes sizing and instructions from 1 year old babies to full grown adults, equipped to equip the whole family!
We knit up an adult version, above, in the Wheat Flour color of our Worsted Twist, a wonderfully soft 100% merino wool. A child-size version, below, is in lovely Heirloom White. There are over two dozen colors of Worsted Twist to choose from, a just-right color for just about everyone.
The Purl Soho Pullover is one of the first patterns Purl Soho ever published, and this new version corrects some of our beginner mistakes. It’s more clearly written with better sizing, and it has been scoured over and over for mistakes. Essentially the same pattern, the Purl Soho Pullover remains an enduring classic, only better!
- 3 (3, 4, 4, 5, 5, 7, 8, 8, 9, 10) skeins of Purl Soho’s Worsted Twist, 100% merino wool. We used Wheat Flour for the adult version and Heirloom White for the child’s size.
- US 8, 20-, 24-, or 32-inch circular needles for Body (depending on size you are making)
- US 8, 16-inch circular needles for Neck
- A set of US 8 double pointed needles or 12-inch circular needles for Sleeves (depending on size you are making)
- US 7, 16-inch circular needles for Neck
- 4 removable stitch markers, including 1 in a different color
- 5 stitch holders or scrap yarn
- A Purl Soho Pullover Pattern (NOTE: This is an update to our original pattern, with fresh graphics, improved sizing, and corrected mistakes.)
17 stitches and 26 rounds = 4 inches in stockinette stitch, using larger needles
20¼ (22, 24, 26¼, 28¼, 30, 32, 36¼, 40, 44¼, 48) inches
To fit child 12 months (child 2 years, child 4 years, child 6 years, child 8 years, child 10 years, adult 28–30 inch chest, adult 32–34 inch chest, adult 36–38 inch chest, adult 40–42 inch chest, adult 44–46 inch chest) with approximately 1–2 inches of ease for children and 2–4 inches of ease for adults
- Finished Chest Circumference: 20¼ (22, 24, 26¼, 28¼, 30, 32, 36¼, 40, 44¼, 48) inches
- Length from Shoulder to Bottom Edge: 15¾ (17¼, 19, 19¾, 21¼, 22¼, 26, 26¼, 27¾, 28¼, 28½) inches
- Length from Underarm to Bottom Edge: 9¾ (10¾, 12, 12¾, 14¼, 14¾, 17½, 17¼, 18½, 18½, 17½) inches
SAMPLE: The adult sweater shown here is size 40 with 3.5 inches of ease and the child sweater shown here is size 24.
The Purl Soho Pullover Pattern is available for purchase as either a hard copy or download.