If, like me, your favorite shirts are loose with a generous armhole depth, when you want to layer something warmer over them, you can’t reach for a cardigan that has a traditional shape. That’s where Olson comes in, a cardigan inspired by a hole in my closet!
Olson has a deep Dolman sleeve and a steep shoulder slope, making it an ideal garment to pull on over almost anything. There is also subtle short-row hem shaping, slightly higher in the front than the back for a gentle sweep. In addition, a Modified Three-Needle Bind Off that celebrates (as well as joins) the long slope of the sleeve. Extra deep ribbed bands are the final touch.
For this classic knit, I chose Purl Soho’s Understory, a fantastic blend of alpaca, yak, and silk that looks and feels absolutely amazing in simple stockinette stitch. Its drape is lightweight, but it knits up into a wonderfully warm and cozy fabric.
I love the color Silver Berry, a pale lilac with a dose of gray that feels timeless and neutral but far from boring. I think it’s the perfect color for Olson, nothing too fancy but very special! -Julie
This project designed for Purl Soho by Julie Hoover.
- 6 (6, 7, 7) (7, 7, 8, 8) skeins of Purl Soho’s Understory, 50% baby alpaca, 25% baby yak, and 25% silk. Each skein is approximately 250 yards/100grams; approximately 1320 (1370, 1515, 1570) (1690, 1745, 1890, 1965) yards required. We used the color Silver Berry.
- US 6, 32- or 40-inch circular needles
- US 7, 24- or 32-inch circular needles
- A set of US 6 double pointed needles
- A stitch marker
- Scrap yarn or stitch holders
- An Olson Pattern booklet
18 stitches and 27 rows = 4 inches in stockinette stitch on larger needles, after blocking
40¾ (44½, 47¾, 51½) (55, 58¾, 62½, 65¾)
To fit actual chest circumference of 30–32 (34–36, 38–40, 42–44) (46–48, 50–52, 54–56, 58–60) inches with 7–10 inches of ease
- Finished Midriff Circumference: 40¾ (44½, 47¾, 51½) (55, 58¾, 62½, 65¾) inches, with front bands overlapping
- Finished Length from Shoulder to Center Back: 28 (28¼, 29¼, 29½) (30¾, 31, 32, 32¼) inches
- Finished Length from Shoulder to Center Front: 25¼ (25½, 26¼, 26½) (28, 28¼, 29¼, 29½) inches
- Finished Length from Cuff to Underarm: 14 inches
SAMPLE: The cardigan pictured here is size 44½ inches on model with 35-inch bust.
The Olson Pattern is available exclusively as a PDF download.