Julie Hoover for Purl Soho: Olson
If, like me, your favorite shirts are loose with a generous armhole depth, when you want to layer something warmer over them, you can’t reach for a cardigan that has a traditional shape. That’s where Olson comes in, a cardigan inspired by a hole in my closet!
Olson has a deep Dolman sleeve and a steep shoulder slope, making it an ideal garment to pull on over almost anything. There is also subtle short-row hem shaping, slightly higher in the front than the back for a gentle sweep. In addition, a Modified Three-Needle Bind Off that celebrates (as well as joins) the long slope of the sleeve. Extra deep ribbed bands are the final touch.
For this classic knit, I chose Purl Soho’s Understory, a fantastic blend of alpaca, yak, and silk that looks and feels absolutely amazing in simple stockinette stitch. Its drape is lightweight, but it knits up into a wonderfully warm and cozy fabric.
I love the color Silver Berry, a pale lilac with a dose of gray that feels timeless and neutral but far from boring. I think it’s the perfect color for Olson, nothing too fancy but very special! -Julie
This project was designed for Purl Soho by Julie Hoover.
Share your progress and connect with the community by tagging your pics with #PurlSoho, #PurlSohoBusyHands, #PurlSohoOlson, and #PurlSohoUnderstory. We can’t wait to see what you make!
- 6 (6, 7, 7, 7, 7) skeins of Purl Soho’s Understory, 50% baby alpaca, 25% baby yak, and 25% silk. Each skein is 250 yards/ 100 grams; approximately 1320 (1370, 1515, 1570) (1690, 1745, 1890, 1965) yards required. We used Silver Berry. (NOTE: We no longer offer Understory, but choose from one of our other light worsted/dk weight yarns.)
- US 6 (4mm), 32- or 40-inch circular needles
- US 7 (4.5mm), 24- or 32-inch circular needles
- A set of US 6 double pointed needles
- A stitch marker
- Scrap yarn or stitch holders
- An Olson Pattern booklet
18 stitches and 27 rows = 4 inches in stockinette stitch on larger needles, after blocking
NOTE For help picking a size, please check out our Understanding Ease + Selecting Size Tutorial!
40¾ (44½, 47¾, 51½, 55, 58¾)
To fit actual chest circumference of 30–32 (34–36, 38–40, 42–44, 46–48, 50–52) inches
- Finished Midriff Circumference: 40¾ (44½, 47¾, 51½, 55, 58¾) inches, with front bands overlapping
- Finished Length from Shoulder to Center Back: 22¾ (23, 23¾, 24, 25, 25¼) inches
- Finished Length from Shoulder to Center Front: 19¾ (20, 20¾, 21, 22, 22¼) inches
- Finished Length from Cuff to Underarm: 17 (17, 17, 17 ½, 17 ½, 18) inches
SAMPLE: The cardigan pictured here is size 44½ inches on model with 35-inch bust.
The Olson Pattern is available for purchase as either a hard copy or download.