Our new Gentle Giant yarn makes us think of all things dramatic, like immense stitches and voluminous folds of fabric. Last week we shared our Mountain Cowl, named after nature’s idea of high drama, and this week we welcome its sister, our Mountain Capelet!
There’s nothing fancy or fussy about knitting this Capelet, but luckily, there’s also no rule that requires a prolonged battle with your knitting needles in order to make something beautiful and special. Have some fun!
Once you’ve whipped it up, throw your Mountain Capelet on over a sweater in the fall or a coat in the winter. Dramatic? Definitely! -Whitney
Update: New Yarn + Weight
This new version is in our brand new, super gorgeous Shepherdess Alpaca. We slightly adjusted the pattern to include more sizes and to have a more structured cowl neck, but it’s just as easy and just as cozy as the original.
- 4 skeins of Purl Soho’s Gentle Giant, 100% merino wool. Each skein is 48 yards; approximately 192 yards required. We used the color White Peppercorn.
- US 19, 32-inch circular needles
- US 19, 24-inch circular needles
- 2 jumbo stitch markers, different colors (or scrap yarn)
6 1/4 stitches = 4 inches
One size fits many!
- Finished circumference around bottom: Approximately 45 inches
- Finished circumference around cowl: Approximately 24 inches
- Finished height from bottom edge to bottom of cowl: 12 inches
- Finished height from bottom edge to top of cowl: 20 inches
Gentle Giant is the perfect yarn for wet splicing, aka spit splicing. If you’ve never given this technique a try, please visit our tutorial on the subject. You may find that it’s your new best friend!
Cast 70 stitches onto the longer circular needles.
Place a marker and join to work in the round, being careful to not twist the stitches.
Purl 3 rounds.
Knit every round until piece measures 9 inches from the beginning rolled edge.
Next Round: K1, k2tog, k29, ssk, k1, place marker, k1, k2tog, knit to last 3 stitches, ssk, k1. [66 stitches]
Next Round: K1, k2tog, knit to 3 stitches before next marker, ssk, k1, slip marker, k1, k2tog, knit to last 3 stitches, ssk, k1. [4 stitches decreased]
Switching to the shorter circular needles when you need to…
Repeat the last round 6 more times, removing the second stitch marker as you knit the final round. [38 stitches]
Knit every round until piece measures 6 inches from the last decrease.
Purl 3 rounds.
Bind off loosely in purl stitch.
Weave in any remaining ends and block if desired.