Taking a note from college professors everywhere, our Low-V Cardigan gives that classic layering staple a bit of a dusting off with an infusion of fresh details: soft rolled-under edges along the front openings, a streamlined finish for the hem and cuffs, and our Mulberry Merino for a little extra polish.
Knit in one piece from the bottom up, you’ll divide stitches at the underarms, then knit the fronts and back separately. You’ll join the stitches at the shoulders, and pick up and knit each sleeve in the round down to the cuff. Pretty decreases at the V make their mark, and features like set-in sleeves and short rows give the Low-V Cardigan fit-like-a-glove tailoring.
Our Mulberry Merino is a sportweight silk and merino wool blend with a classic ply and a lovely finish. Now with 17 new colors added to the collection, including this heathery, from-the-deep Inlet Blue, you can choose the perfect color to pair with your tweeds… or maybe just your basic tee!
Designed for Purl Soho by Adam Aronowitz.
- 6 (6, 7, 7, 8, 9) skeins of Purl Soho’s Mulberry Merino, 80% extra fine merino wool and 20% mulberry silk. Each skein is approximately 247 yards/100 grams; approximately 1260 (1370, 1545, 1690, 1900, 2040) total yards required. We used Inlet Blue.
- US 4, 40-inch circular needles
- US 4, 16-inch circular needles
- A set of US 4 double pointed needles
- Stitch markers
- 4 removable stitch markers or scrap yarn
- Stitch holders or scrap yarn
- Four ½-inch buttons. We used our Fish-Eye Corozo Buttons.
- A Low-V Cardigan Pattern
24 stitches and rows = 4 inches in stockinette stitch
37½ (41½, 45½, 49½, 53½, 57½)
To fit actual chest circumference of 30–33 (34–37, 38–41, 42–45, 46–49, 50–53) inches, with approximately 4–7 inches of ease
- Finished Chest Circumference (buttoned): 37½ (41½, 45½, 49½, 53½, 57½) inches
- Finished Length From Top Of Shoulder: 23½ (24, 25½, 26, 27½, 28) inches
- Finished Sleeve Length From Underarm: 17 (17, 17½, 17½, 17¾, 17¾) inches
SAMPLE: The sweater pictured here is size 37½ inches, worn with 6 inches of ease.
The Low-V Cardigan Pattern is available for purchase as a PDF download only.