Little Baby Sweater In Posy
Our wonderfully intuitive Little Baby Sweater leaves behind scallops, lace, and fuss and, instead, knits up in simple garter stitch with zero shaping and very little sewing. For knitters, it is a playful geometric brain game, and for earth’s newest inhabitants, it is pure sweetness!
To make it, you’ll cast on at the bottom edge and knit upwards in one piece. Binding off for the underarms, you knit the fronts and back separately, then follow with the button bands. Finish by picking up and knitting the sleeves and sewing their undersides into place… Very simple!
Originally knit in a now-discontinued yarn, how could we resist bringing back our Little Baby Sweater in our soft, sumptuous, and machine washable Posy and Pocket Posy yarns? We had some fun and changed the color of the Pocket Posy stripes in each section. Do the same or try your own thing: alternating stripes, gradating stripes, rainbow stripes, whatever you think baby might like!
Designed for Purl Soho by Whitney Van Nes.
Share your progress and connect with the community by tagging your pics with #PurlSoho, #PurlSohoBusyHands, #PurlSohoLittleBabySweater, and #PurlSohoPosy. We can’t wait to see what you make!
- Main Color (MC): 2 skeins of Purl Soho’s Posy, 75% superwash merino, 15% cashmere, and 10% nylon. Each skein is 159 yards/ 50 grams; approximately 203 yards required. We used Heirloom White.
- Contrast Colors (CC1, 2, and 3): 1 skein of Purl Soho’s Posy, 75% superwash merino, 15% cashmere, and 10% nylon. Approximately 63 total yards required. We used…
- CC1: Maple Wood
- CC2: Pink Papaya
- CC3: Azalea Glow
NOTE: If you’d like to use just one color for the Contrast Color, a single skein of Posy would suffice!
- A US 3 (3.25 mm), 20- or 24- inch circular needles
- Four 3/8-inch buttons. We used Purl Soho’s Small Mother Of Pearl Buttons, 2-hole Ecru.
7 stitches = 1 inch in garter stitch
- Finished Chest Circumference: 18¼ inches
- Finished Length From Bottom Hem To Top Shoulder: 9½ inches
- Finished Length From Bottom Hem To Underarm: 5½ inches
Follow the instructions for our original Little Baby Sweater pattern, except use CC1 for the Body, through the Separating For Underarms section. Use CC2 for the Right Front, Back, and Left Front, and for the Sleeves, use CC3.