Shoulder Forward Pullover
There should be a phrase that means precisely the opposite of giving someone the cold shoulder. Until that chain of words exists, we propose a solution in sweater form: Our Shoulder Forward Pullover is a warm embrace, that kind of fast-friend, easy-fit favorite that exudes everyday welcome vibes.
This is a classic V-neck that’s all chill and never chilly. Thoughtful details, an easy bottom-up construction with set-in sleeves and special tailoring at the shoulders make this familiar form a soft and cozy original.
Our Shoulder Forward Pullover is knit in the round, from the bottom to the underarms. Then you divide the piece and work the front and back separately, join the two sets of shoulders, and finally, pick up and knit the sleeves in the round down to the cuffs.
The shoulder are where the sweater is a standout: Instead of joining them at the usual top of the shoulders, we moved the seam ever so slightly forward, for a line of grace and ease. The shoulder join is a Modified 3-Needle Bind Off, which creates a raised ridge detail. Sharing the shoulder spotlight is some simple V-neck shaping with centered decreases that raise the bar and create a similar ridge.
We knit this up in our rustic-but-elegant Flax Down, a blend of baby alpaca, extra-fine merino and undyed linen, here in Kettle Black for a high-contrast vibe of windswept nonchalance. After all your holiday knitting, make this perfectly unruly beauty for yourself and enter the new year holding your head… and shoulders high!
Designed for Purl Soho by Adam Aronowitz.
Share your progress and connect with the community by tagging your pics with #PurlSoho, #PurlSohoBusyHands, #PurlSohoShoulderForwardPullover, and #PurlSohoFlaxDown. We can’t wait to see what you make!
- 5 (6, 6, 7) (7, 8, 9) (9, 10, 10) skeins of Purl Soho’s Flax Down, 43% baby alpaca, 42% extra fine merino, and 15% linen. Each skein is 219 yards/ 100 grams; approximately 1060 (1150, 1280, 1385) (1530, 1645, 1775) (1875, 1990, 2065) yards required. We used Kettle Black. (NOTE: We no longer offer Flax Down, but choose from one of our other light worsted/dk weight yarns.)
- US 5 (3.75 mm), 32- or 40-inch circular needles (depending on size you are making)
- US 5, 16-inch circular needles
- A set of US 5 double pointed needles
- US 6 (4 mm), 32- or 40-inch circular needles (depending on size you are making)
- US 6, 16-inch circular needles
- A set of US 6 double pointed needles
- Stitch markers
- 2 locking markers
- Stitch holders or scrap yarn
- A cable stitch holder
- A Shoulder Forward Pullover Pattern
23 stitches and 36 rows = 4 inches in stockinette stitch, using larger needles
NOTE For help picking a size, please check out our Understanding Ease + Selecting Size Tutorial!
37½ (41, 44½, 48) (51½, 55, 58½) (62, 65½, 68¾)
To fit actual chest circumference of 31–34 (35–37, 38–41, 42–44) (45–48, 49–51, 52–54) (56–58, 59–61, 62–64) inches, with approximately 4–6 inches of ease
- Finished Chest Circumference: 37½ (41, 44½, 48) (51½, 55, 58½) (62, 65½, 68¾) inches
- Finished Length From Top Of Shoulder: 21½ (22, 23½, 24) (25½, 26, 27) (27½, 28¼, 28½) inches
SAMPLE: The sweater pictured here is size 37½ inches modeled with 5 inches of ease.
The Shoulder Forward Pullover Pattern is available for purchase as a PDF download only.