In the less-is-more department: Our very pretty, pared-down, delightfully soft Top-Down Circular Yoke Pullover. When a bulky sweater is heftier than you can handle and a gossamer one is too light, this medium weight beauty is just right.
Its beauty is, in part, in the simply executed details: its delicate neckline and subtle yoke, whose textural increases are an excellent example of the elegance of form following function. Our favorite rolled edge cuffs and hem give this sweater that “Oh, I just threw this on” air.
Knit as simply as possible in the round from the top down, with some basic short row shaping at the back of the neck, the Top-Down Circular Yoke Pullover Pattern is an excellent place to start for new sweater knitters. But long-time knitters will also find satisfaction in this pullover’s classic engineering.
This pattern works with two of our very favorite yarns: our Cashmere Merino Bloom and our Flax Down, a baby alpaca, extra fine merino and linen blend. Worked at the same gauge with the same size needles, choose either one! Here we used Heirloom White in Cashmere Merino Bloom and Rose Granite in Flax Down. Both are timeless, never tiresome.
This pattern designed for Purl Soho by Laura Ferguson.
Choose from three different Purl Soho yarns. Each works perfectly for this pattern!
- 5 (5, 6, 6) (7, 7, 8) (8, 9, 9, 10) skeins of Purl Soho’s Cashmere Merino Bloom, 75% extra fine merino wool, 25% cashmere. We used Heirloom White.
- 5 (5, 6, 6) (7, 7, 8) (8, 9, 9, 10) skeins of Purl Soho’s Flax Down, 43% baby alpaca, 42% extra fine merino wool, 15% linen. We used Rose Granite.
- 3 (3, 4, 4) (4, 5, 5) (5, 5, 6, 6) skeins of Purl Soho’s Good Wool, 100% Andean Highland Wool, Undyed. We used Hickory Nut.
You will also need…
- A set of US 6 double pointed needles
- US 6, 16-inch circular needles
- US 6, 32-inch circular needles
- A stitch marker
- Scrap yarn or stitch holders
- A Top-Down Circular Yoke Pullover Pattern
21 stitches and 29 rows = 4 inches in stockinette stitch
34 (37, 40, 43) (46, 49¼, 52¼) (54¾, 58, 61, 64) inches
To fit actual chest circumference of 30-31 (33-34, 36-37, 39-40) (42-43, 45-46, 48-59) (51-52, 54-55, 57-58, 60-61) inches, with 3-4 inches of ease
- Finished Chest Circumference: 34 (37, 40, 43) (46, 49¼, 52¼) (54¾, 58, 61, 64) inches
- Finished Length from Back Neck to Bottom Edge: 21¼ (21½, 22, 23) (23½, 24½, 24¾) (25, 25¾, 26, 26¼) inches
- Finished Length from Underarm to Bottom Edge: 14 (14, 14, 14½) (14½, 15, 15) (15, 15½, 15½, 15½) inches
- Finished Length from Cuff to Underarm: 17 (17, 17, 17½) (17½, 18, 18) (18, 18½, 18½, 18½) inches
SAMPLE: The sweater pictured here is size 40 inches modeled with 4 inches of ease.
The Top-Down Circular Yoke Pullover Pattern is available for purchase as a PDF download.
Update: More Sizes
We’ve expanded the size range for our Top-Down Circular Yoke Pullover Pattern! Since last spring, all of our new sweaters fit at least a 60-inch chest. If you downloaded this pattern in the past, please update your pattern for free, either in My Pattern PDFs on your My Account page at purlsoho.com or in your Ravelry library.
Update: Now in Good Wool!
Already tested and true in Flax Down and Cashmere Merino Bloom, our Top-Down Circular Yoke Pullover in Good Wool puts on an earthier face without changing the pattern one lick! You’ll only need three to five skeins of Good Wool, each costing less than ten dollars. Do the math, and it’s easy to see that this version of our Pullover is a good choice for people on a tight budget, first-time sweater knitters, and everyone who appreciates environmentally responsible, traditional highland wool.