In the less-is-more department: Our very pretty, pared-down, delightfully soft Top-Down Circular Yoke Pullover. When a bulky sweater is heftier than you can handle and a gossamer one is too light, this medium weight beauty is just right.
Its beauty is, in part, in the simply executed details: its delicate neckline and subtle yoke, whose textural increases are an excellent example of the elegance of form following function. Our favorite rolled edge cuffs and hem give this sweater that “Oh, I just threw this on” air.
Knit as simply as possible in the round from the top down, with some basic short row shaping at the back of the neck, the Top-Down Circular Yoke Pullover Pattern is an excellent place to start for new sweater knitters. But long-time knitters will also find satisfaction in this pullover’s classic engineering.
This pattern works with two of our very favorite yarns: our Cashmere Merino Bloom and our Flax Down, a baby alpaca, extra fine merino and linen blend. Worked at the same gauge with the same size needles, choose either one! Here we used Heirloom White in Cashmere Merino Bloom and Rose Granite in Flax Down. Both are timeless, never tiresome.
This pattern designed for Purl Soho by Laura Ferguson.
- 5 (5, 6, 6, 7, 7) skeins of Purl Soho’s Cashmere Merino Bloom, 75% extra fine merino wool, 25% cashmere. Each skein is approximately 218 yards/100grams; approximately 990 (1075, 1170, 1295, 1390, 1525) yards required. We used Heirloom White.
- 5 (5, 6, 6, 7, 7) skeins of Purl Soho’s Flax Down, 43% baby alpaca, 42% extra fine merino wool, 15% linen. Each skein is approximately 219 yards/100grams; approximately 990 (1075, 1170, 1295, 1390, 1525) yards required. We used Rose Granite.
- A set of US 6 double pointed needles
- US 6, 16-inch circular needles
- US 6, 32-inch circular needles
- A stitch marker
- Scrap yarn or stitch holders
- A Top-Down Circular Yoke Pullover Pattern
21 stitches and 29 rows = 4 inches in stockinette stitch
34 (37, 40, 43, 46, 49¼) inches
To fit actual chest circumference of 30-31 (33-34, 36-37, 39-40, 42-43, 45-46) inches, with 3-4 inches of ease
- Finished Chest Circumference: 34 (37, 40, 43, 46, 49¼) inches
- Finished Length from Back Neck to Bottom Edge: 21¼ (21½, 22, 23, 23½, 24½) inches
- Finished Length from Underarm to Bottom Edge: 14 (14, 14, 14½, 14½, 15) inches
- Finished Length from Cuff to Underarm: 17 (17, 17, 17½, 17½, 18) inches
SAMPLE: The sweater pictured here is size 40 inches modeled with 4 inches of ease.
The Top-Down Circular Yoke Pullover Pattern is available for purchase as either a hard copy or download.