Shiny + Matte Wrap
Sometimes the yarn is enough. You don’t need fancy stitch patterns or elaborate construction, only beautiful fibers, precisely paired.
For our Shiny + Matte Wrap, we bracket Linen Quill’s rustic blend of fine Highland wool, alpaca, and linen with our newest and most illuminating yarn, Spun Silk. Purposefully picking closely related colors, textural nuances drive this streamlined design.
Knit primarily in stockinette, with a small ribbed selvedge, the Shiny + Matte Wrap captures the beauty of simple structure and subtle contrast. It’s a piece that’s both approachable to make and effortless to wear. -Laura
Update: New Colors
Our Shiny + Matte Wrap in pretty Pink Primrose is just right for spring’s vicissitudes! See more photos here!
Update: Same Yarn, New Format
We now have a woven scarf using these same two yarns: rustic Linen Quill and refined Spun Silk. Our Woven Shiny + Matte Scarf creates fields of subtly shifting color, a quiet meditation on the thrill of fiber.
Designed by Purl Soho designer, Laura Ferguson.
Share your progress and connect with the community by tagging your pics with #PurlSoho, #PurlSohoBusyHands, #PurlSohoShinyAndMatteScarf, and #PurlSohoLinenQuill. We can’t wait to see what you make!
To knit your own Shiny + Matte Wrap, you will need…
- Yarn A: 2 skeins of Purl Soho’s Spun Silk, 100% silk. Approximately 404 yards required. For the Fresh Cream palette, we used Candle White. (Please Note: We no longer offer Spun Silk or Burnish, which we previously recommended as a substitute, but choose from one of our other fingering weight yarns.)
- Yarn B: 2 skein of Purl Soho’s Linen Quill, 50% fine highland wool, 35% alpaca, and 15% linen. Each skein is 439 yards/ 100 grams; approximately 614 yards required. We used Heirloom White.
- US 4 (3.5mm) straight or circular needles
- Warm Honey (left)
- Yarn A: Spun Silk in Golden Pear
- Yarn B: Linen Quill in Turmeric Yellow
- Pink Primrose (middle)
- Yarn A: Spun Silk in Peony Pink
- Yarn B: Linen Quill in Rose Granite
- Gray Granite (right)
- Yarn A: Spun Silk in Silver Bark
- Yarn B: Linen Quill in Salt + Pepper
26 stitches = 4 inches in stockinette stitch
Finished Dimensions: 15 inches wide x 72 inches long
With Yarn A, cast on 106 stitches. We used a basic Long Tail Cast On.
Row 1 (wrong side): Slip 1 purlwise through the back loop with yarn in front, [p1, k1] five times, purl to last eleven stitches, [k1, p1] five times, k1.
Row 2 (right side): Slip 1 knitwise with yarn in back, [k1, p1] five times, knit to last 11 stitches, [p1, k1] five times, p1.
Repeat Rows 1 and 2 for approximately 14 inches of Yarn A, ending after a wrong-side row. Cut Yarn A.
Beginning with a right-side row (Row 2), join Yarn B and continue in the established pattern, repeating Rows 2 and 1 for approximately 42 inches (or until approximately 15 inches less than desired finished length), ending with a wrong-side row. Cut Yarn B.
Beginning with a right-side row (Row 2), join Yarn A and continue in the established pattern, repeating Rows 2 and 1 for approximately 15 inches of Yarn A, leaving enough yarn to bind off and ending with wrong-side row.
Bind off in pattern (right side): K1, [k1, bind off 1, p1, bind off 1] 5 times, *k1, bind off 1, repeat from * to last 11 stitches, [p1, bind off 1, k1, bind off 1] 5 times, p1, bind off.
Block as desired and weave in the ends.