I read somewhere that planning a vacation can make you happier than actually taking one. I get that! I love ferreting out good airfares, virtually perusing hotels, and lurking around the drugstore’s trail-size aisle. Sewing this dapper Weekender Duffle taps right into all that excitement. It’s just as fun to make as finding a last-minute deal, and with every seam, you imagine all the places this awesome bag will travel!
We have everything you need to help you along this sewing journey: Our Weekender Duffle Pattern includes step-by-step instructions and tons of detailed photographs. And our Strap Hardware Kit makes the bag’s strap adjustable and comes with all the necessary metal hooks, D-rings, and sliders in your choice of Brass or Nickel!
So before your travel adventure, take a sewing adventure, because getting there is more than half the fun! -Molly
To make our Weekender Duffle, you’ll need…
- Our Weekender Duffle Pattern
- ¾ yard of denim or mid-weight canvas (We used Robert Kaufman’s Railroad Denim in Dotted Stripe Denim, Wide Dotted Stripe, and Deluxe Varied Stripe for our original Weekender Duffles, which are unfortunately no longer available. We think Robert Kaufman’s Denim with Colored Motes would make an excellent substitution!)
- 2 yards of Purl Soho’s Bias Tape By the Yard in Natural or Indigo
- 5 yards of Purl Soho’s Sangle Cotton Webbing in Natural
- Two 110-yard spools of Gutermann’s Cotton Sewing Thread, both in color 1040 or in colors 1040 and 6210, depending on your fabric choice
- An 18-inch non-separating zipper (We used ivory!)
Our Strap Hardware Kit comes in either Brass or Nickel and includes…
- Two 1-inch Metal Swivel Snaps
- Two ¾-inch Metal D-rings
- A 1 ¼-inch Metal Double Loop Slider
You will also need…
- A jeans-weight sewing machine needle. We used Schmetz’s Universal Machine Needles, Jeans 16/100.
Finished Dimensions: 8 1/2 inches in diameter x 18 inches long
And don’t forget a Weekender Duffle Bag Pattern, available as either a hardcopy or PDF download!