I read somewhere that planning a vacation can make you happier than actually taking one. I get that! I love ferreting out good airfares, virtually perusing hotels, and lurking around the drugstore’s trail-size aisle. Sewing this dapper Weekender Duffle taps right into all that excitement. It’s just as fun to make as finding a last-minute deal, and with every seam, you imagine all the places this awesome bag will travel!
We have everything you need to help you along this sewing journey: Our Weekender Duffle Pattern includes step-by-step instructions and tons of detailed photographs. And our Strap Hardware Kit makes the bag’s strap adjustable and comes with all the necessary metal hooks, D-rings, and sliders in your choice of Brass or Nickel!
So before your travel adventure, take a sewing adventure, because getting there is more than half the fun! -Molly
To make our Weekender Duffle, you’ll need…
- Our Weekender Duffle Pattern
- ¾ yard of denim or mid-weight canvas (We used Robert Kaufman’s Railroad Denim in Dotted Stripe Denim, Wide Dotted Stripe, and Deluxe Varied Stripe for our original Weekender Duffles, which are unfortunately no longer available.)
- 2 yards of Purl Soho’s Bias Tape By the Yard in Natural or Indigo
- 5 yards of Purl Soho’s Sangle Cotton Webbing in Natural
- Two 110-yard spools of Gutermann’s Cotton Sewing Thread, both in color 1040 or in colors 1040 and 6210, depending on your fabric choice
- An 18-inch non-separating zipper (We used ivory!)
Our Strap Hardware Kit comes in either Brass or Nickel and includes…
- Two 1-inch Metal Swivel Snaps
- Two ¾-inch Metal D-rings
- A 1 ¼-inch Metal Double Loop Slider
You will also need…
- A jeans-weight sewing machine needle. We used Schmetz’s Universal Machine Needles, Jeans 16/100.
Finished Dimensions: 8 1/2 inches in diameter x 18 inches long
And don’t forget a Weekender Duffle Bag Pattern, available as a PDF download!