Eleventh Hour Marled Blanket
As every knitter knows, our eleventh hour is weeks before everyone else’s. And if you’re talking about a blanket, the eleventh hour is yesterday… But not so with our Eleventh Hour Marled Blanket!
We designed this simple blanket for last-minute knitting, but also for long-lasting beauty. Based on our original Eleventh Hour Blanket, this one uses one strand of Purl Soho’s Gentle Giant and one of Super Soft Merino for a complex texture, a gorgeous marled look, and a quick gauge of 1 1/4 stitches per inch!
Just because it’s fast, just because it’s simple, doesn’t mean it’s not a stunning gift. And just because it may be the eleventh hour, doesn’t mean you’re out of time. Whip up this beauty and give it with love and pride!
Share your progress and connect with the community by tagging your pics with #PurlSoho, #PurlSohoBusyHands, #PurlSohoEleventhHourMarledBlanket, #PurlSohoGentleGiant, and #PurlSohoSuperSoftMerino. We can’t wait to see what you make!
- Yarn A: 8 skeins of Purl Soho’s Gentle Giant, 100% merino wool. Each skein is 48 yards/ 125 grams; approximately 384 yards required. We used the color White Peppercorn for both Blankets shown here.
- Yarn B: 7 skeins of Purl Soho’s Super Soft Merino, 100% merino wool. Each skein is 87 yards/ 100 grams; approximately 554 yards required. We used the color Heirloom White (left) for one blanket and Super Pink (right) for the other.
- A US 36 (20 mm), 40-inch circular needle
- Two US 17 (12 mm) double pointed needles
Here are some other beautiful color combinations to try…
- Gentle Giant in Heirloom White + Super Soft Merino in Oyster Gray
- Gentle Giant in Poseidon Green + Super Soft Merino in Heirloom White
- Gentle Giant in Pigeon Gray + Super Soft Merino in Yellow Zest
- Gentle Giant in Winter Bark + Super Soft Merino in Pink Grapefruit
- Gentle Giant in Heirloom White + Super Soft Merino in Peacock Blue
- Gentle Giant in Graphite Gray + Super Soft Merino in Artemisia Green
- Gentle Giant in Wolf Brown + Super Soft Merino in Heirloom White
- Gentle Giant in Pigeon Gray + Super Soft Merino in Steel Blue
- Gentle Giant in Heirloom White + Super Soft Merino in Toasted Charcoal
5 stitches = 4 inches in seed stitch, pulling a strand of Yarn A and Yarn B together
Finished dimensions: 37 inches wide x 48 inches long
With one strand of Yarn A and one strand of Yarn B, cast 45 stitches onto the circular needles. We used a basic Long Tail Cast On.
Row 1: *K1, p1, repeat from * to last stitch, k1.
Repeat Row 1 until you have used nearly all 8 skeins of Yarn A, leaving enough yarn for the bind off row.
Bind off loosely in pattern.
Work I-Cord Edge
With 2 strands of Yarn B and the two double pointed needles, work a 3-stitch Attached I-cord around the entire edge of the blanket.
With the right side facing you, start at any point of the blanket’s edge and work counter clockwise.
Along all four sides, pick up one stitch for each row or stitch.
At each corner, work one row of Attached I-cord, then a row of unattached I-cord, and then another row of Attached I-cord.
When you’ve finished working the Attached I-cord, graft or sew its two ends together.
Weave in the ends and enjoy your big, cozy blanket!