Knit Before Christmas Stocking
The children are nestled all snug in their beds, the sugar plums are dancing, the hand-knit stockings are hung by the chimney with care, and congratulations, you’ve created a beautiful Christmas tradition without a whole lot of stress and fuss. Our Knit Before Christmas Stocking contains all the love that goes into the making without taking the twelve days of Christmas to do it!
But a swift knit isn’t any less special, especially considering this stocking’s considerable charms, starting with its festive scale. Using just two skeins of our Gentle Giant, big stitches work up into a big stocking with a right jolly old spirit. Its splashes of bright color, how they twinkle, its toes how merry, its heels like roses, its hanging loop like a cherry!
Even if you sleep right through St. Nick’s visit, you never do forget a hand-knit Christmas stocking. It’s what sugar-plum dreams are made of!
Designed for Purl Soho by Jake Canton.
Share your progress and connect with the community by tagging your pics with #PurlSoho, #PurlSohoBusyHands, #PurlSohoKnitBeforeCristmasStocking, and #PurlSohoGentleGiant. We can’t wait to see what you make!
- 2 skeins of Purl Soho’s Gentle Giant, 100% merino wool. Each skein is 48 yards/ 125 grams.
- Main Color (MC): 1 skein; approximately 48 yards required.
- Contrast Color (CC): 1 skein; approximately 34 yards required.
- US 17 (12 mm), 16-inch circular needles
- A set of US 17 double pointed needles
- A size P (12 mm) crochet hook
- A jumbo stitch marker or scrap yarn
We knit up samples in 3 color combinations…
Main Color: White Peppercorn + Contrast Color: Super Pink
Main Color: Heirloom White + Contrast Color: Rose Violet
Main Color: Heirloom White + Contrast Color: Orange Koi
8 stitches and 11 rounds = 4 inches in stockinette stitch
- Finished Circumference: 13¼ inches
- Finished Length From Top Of Heel To Top Of Leg (rolled): 10 inches
- Finished Length From Top Of Heel To Tip Of Toe: 10½ inches
Short-Row Shaping: Wrap + Turn (wrp-t)
- On the right side: Keeping yarn in back, slip next stitch purlwise from left needle to right needle. Bring yarn to front. Return slipped stitch to left needle. Bring yarn to back. Turn work so wrong side is facing you.
- On the wrong side: Keeping yarn in front, slip next stitch purlwise from left needle to right needle. Bring yarn to back. Return slipped stitch to left needle. Bring yarn to front. Turn work so right side is facing you.
For a step-by-step video and photo tutorial of how to work this technique, please visit our Short Row tutorial.
With Contrast Color (CC), loosely cast 24 stitches onto circular needles, leaving an 36-inch tail to use later for the Hanging Loop. We used a basic Long Tail Cast On.
Place a marker and join for working in the round, being careful to not twist the stitches.
Knit every round until piece measure 4 inches from cast-on edge, unrolled.
With Main Color (MC), knit every round until piece measures 11½ inches from cast-on edge, unrolled.
Short Row 1 (right side): With CC, k4, wrap and turn (wrp-t, see Note).
Short Row 2 (wrong side): P8, wrp-t.
Short Row 3: K7, wrp-t.
Short Row 4: P6, wrp-t.
Short Row 5: K5, wrp-t.
Short Row 6: P4, wrp-t.
Short Row 7: K3, wrp-t.
Short Row 8: P2, wrp-t.
Short Row 9: K2, [knit wrap together with next stitch] 4 times, wrp-t.
Short Row 10: P6, [purl wrap together with next stitch] 4 times, wrp-t.
Short Row 11: K5.
Set-Up Round: With right side still facing you and using MC, k5, knit wrap together with next stitch, knit to last 6 stitches of round, knit wrap together with next stitch, knit to end of round.
Knit every round until piece measures 5 inches from Foot Set-Up Round.
Rounds 1 and 2: With CC, knit to end of round.
Distribute stitches evenly over 4 double pointed needles. [6 stitches on each needle]
Round 3: For Needle A, knit to last 2 stitches, k2tog; for Needle B, ssk, knit to end of needle; for Needle C, knit to last 2 stitches, k2tog; for Needle D, ssk, knit to end of round. [4 stitches decreased]
Repeat Round 3 until 8 stitches remain. [2 stitches on each needle]
Next Round: For Needle A, k2tog; for Needle B, ssk; for Needle C, k2tog; for Needle D, ssk. [4 stitches]
Cut CC, leaving an 8-inch tail.
Thread tail onto tapestry needle and thread needle through remaining 4 stitches. Pull tight and bring tail to inside of stocking and weave it in.
With wrong side facing you, use crochet hook to bring cast-on tail to wrong side of piece 6 rounds below cast-on edge, through first column in the round.
Insert crochet hook into stitch below where cast-on tail exits and draw tail through to create a loop on the crochet hook.
Insert crochet hook from back to front into first chain stitch and pull tail through to secure Hanging Loop to itself.
Weave in ends and lightly steam, if desired!