Baby knits are so much more than just quick knits. They’re a message of support to the parents (even when we ourselves are the parents!) and talismans of love, with hope and good feelings sown into every stitch. Our Baby Fair Isle Cardigan takes all this energy and adds to it simplicity and timeless beauty.
A reinvention of our classic Baby Girl Fair Isle Cardigan, this version downgrades gender (go ahead, make it for girls and boys!) and adds a 2-year-old size, spreading the love to the older set. We also made sure to knit this one up in a machine washable yarn: our new Posy for the Main Color, plus a 4-Skein Pocket Posy Bundle for the colorwork. Hand-dyed in Peru, Posy and Pocket Posy are not only wonderfully soft (hello, 15% cashmere) but also hard-working and resilient with their superwash merino base, plus a touch of nylon.
Our straightforward Baby Fair Isle Cardigan Pattern hides no nasty surprises. Knit from the bottom up, you’ll work raglan shoulder decreases that shift into yoke shaping and simple colorwork. A few short rows lift the back neck, and finishing couldn’t be easier with a knit-in button band and super easy crocheted button loops.
For tiny newborn bundles or tipsy two year olds (and everyone in between!), our Baby Fair Isle Cardigan is a very special knit for the very special people in our lives!
Designed for Purl Soho by Whitney Van Nes.
- Main Color: 1 (1, 2, 2) skeins of Purl Soho’s Posy, 75% superwash merino, 15% cashmere, and 10% nylon
- Colors A, B, C, and D: Purl Soho’s 4-Skein Pocket Posy Bundle or 4 skeins of Pocket Posy, 75% superwash merino, 15% cashmere, and 10% nylon
We used the following colors, shown above…
- Main Color: Posy in Mourning Dove
- Colors A-D: A 4-Skein Pocket Posy Bundle in Snapdragon. Color A, Azalea Glow; Color B, Pink Papaya; Color C, Marigold Orange; Color D, Sour Gooseberry
- Main Color: Posy in Heirloom White
- Colors A-D: A 4-Skein Pocket Posy Bundle in Bandana. Color A, Beetle Blue; Color B, Teal Twilight; Color C, Black Cherry; Color D, Chili Pepper
You’ll also need…
- US 2, 20- or 24-inch circular needles, depending on the
- US 3, 20- or 24-inch circular needles
- Set of US 2 double pointed needles
- Set of US 3 double pointed needles
- Stitch markers
- Stitch holders or scrap yarn
- A size B (2.25 mm) crochet hook
- Two to six 3/8-inch buttons. We used Purl Soho’s Small Round Buttons, in Khaki for the Mourning Dove sweater and Cream for the Heirloom White one.
- A Baby Fair Isle Cardigan Pattern
28 stitches and 39 rows = 4 inches in stockinette stitch, using larger needles
Newborn (6 Months, 1 Year, 2 Years)
- Finished Chest Circumference: 17 (19, 21, 23) inches
- Finished Body Length From Bottom Edge To Underarm: 5 (6, 7, 8½) inches
- Finished Body Length From Bottom Edge To Top Of Shoulder: 8½ (9¾, 11, 12¾) inches
- Finished Sleeve Length: 5½ (6, 7, 9) inches
SAMPLES: The sweaters pictured here are sizes 6 Months and 2 Years.
The Baby Fair Isle Cardigan Pattern is available for purchase as a PDF download only.