Feet are sensitive little energy fields, as any fan of acupressure or reflexology will tell you. A bout of hiccups? Try rubbing your second toe, just under the toenail. Insomnia? Press the point under your big toe joint. But even if ancient medicine isn’t your thing, you have to admit that feet are full of feeling, and our Easy Heel Colorblock Socks touch on all the good spots!
These easy-as-pie socks do an ingenious job of avoiding the potentially difficult heel- and gusset-shaping of traditional patterns. Here, you knit the whole leg and foot as a tube, stopping along the way for a couple of scrap-yarn half-rows, which you later pick up in order to knit the heel in the round… Amazing for first-time sock knitters, and anyone else who likes a simple trick!
And it’s even knitter’s choice whether you’re a top-down (cuff-to-toe) or bottom-up (toe-to-cuff) kind of person. Our Easy Heel Colorblock Socks Pattern has instructions for both directions and for both kids and adults!
Any route you choose to knit these socks, they’re a wonderfully soft and beautiful treat for your feet. We knit them up in our new hand-dyed, machine washable Posy and Pocket Posy, 75% superwash merino (for stretch and warmth), 15% cashmere (for utter coziness) and 10% nylon (for durability). Available in 18 extraordinary colors, put just the right feeling in all the right places!
Designed for Purl Soho by Jake Canton.
- Main Color: 1 (1, 1, 1, 1 or 2) skein(s) of Purl Soho’s Posy, 75% superwash merino, 15% cashmere, and 10% nylon. NOTE: Two skeins for largest size only required if making socks for men’s size 12 or larger shoe.
- Color A (Cuff): 1 (1, 2, 2, 2) skein(s) of Purl Soho’s Pocket Posy. NOTE: You may only need one skein for size 8. It’s close!
- Color B (Toe): 1 skein of Pocket Posy
- Color C (Heel): 1 skein of Pocket Posy
NOTE: For Colors A, B, and C, try our 3-Skein Pocket Posy Bundle. (Remember to pick up an extra single skein of Color A for the largest sizes!).
For our samples we used…
PICTURED ABOVE, TOP:
- Main Color: Heirloom White
- 3-Skein Pocket Posy Bundle: Clematis
PICTURED ABOVE, BOTTOM:
- Main Color: Mourning Dove
- 3-Skein Pocket Posy Bundle: Yuzu
And we also have these other lovely bundles available…
Gladiola, Moonscape + Peacock
You’ll also need…
- A set of US 0 double pointed needles
- A few yards of fingering weight scrap yarn
- An Easy Heel Colorblock Socks Pattern
34 stitches and 50 rows = 4 inches in stockinette stitch
6 (7, 8, 9, 10) inches, to fit Kids to Adults
- Foot Circumference: 6, (7, 8, 9, 10) inches, comfortably stretching 1-2 inches
- Foot Length: Adjustable
SAMPLES: Both pairs pictured here are size 7 inches.
Our Easy Heel Colorblock Sock Pattern is available for purchase as a PDF download only.