Ainur Berkimbayeva For Purl Soho: Seashell Baby Shirt + Dress
Your little pearl tucked inside our Seashell Baby Shirt + Dress is like a gift from the sea! Designer Ainur Berkimbayeva dreamed up this vision of nature meets nurture, inspired, as always, by a construction idea.
In this case, Ainur wanted to create volume using short rows, and realizing that this would mean knitting her shirt and dress sideways, she added a purl ridge to highlight the form… and to create a perfect little scallop shell!
If this sounds over your head, it’s probably not! You simply cast on along the right seam and work the piece across the front, shaping for underarms along the way, then do the same thing across the back until you return to the right side seam, where you join the end to the beginning. Working short rows as you go creates wedges that are wider at the bottom than the top, which, as Ainur imagined, is a very clever way to shape a flared shirt or dress!
For its beauty and super softness, Ainur chose our Santolina, a blend of 70% organically grown cotton, 20% rayon from bamboo, and 10% hemp. Santolina is a nice, light fingering weight. It is also machine wash- and dry-able and even has a lovely little shine like the sea.
For any size from newborn to 2 years, you’ll need just one skein of Santolina for a Seashell Baby Shirt or two for a Dress. Choose from 16 very gentle colors, each one a perfectly plausible little seashell!
Designed for Purl Soho by Ainur Berkimbayeva.
Share your progress + connect with the community by tagging your pics with #PurlSoho, #PurlSohoBusyHands, #PurlSohoSeashellBabyShirtAndDress and #PurlSohoSantolina. We can’t wait to see what you make!
- Purl Soho’s Santolina, 70% organically grown cotton, 20 % bamboo, and 10% hemp. Each skein is 328 yards/ 100 grams.
- Shirt: 1 (1, 1, 1) skein. Approximately 185 (215, 245, 285) yards required. We used the color Winter Green.
- Dress: 2 (2, 2, 2) skeins. Approximately 355 (400, 480, 560) yards required. We used the color Green Agave.
- US 3 (3.25mm), 32-inch circular needles
- Spare US 3 circular needles
- Two US 3 double pointed needles
- Crochet hook size D or E (3.25 or 3.5 mm)
- Scrap yarn for provisional cast on
- Stitch markers
- Stitch holders or scrap yarn
- A Seashell Baby Shirt + Dress pattern
24 stitches and 38 rows = 4 inches in stockinette stitch
0-6 months (6-12 months, 12-18 months, 18-24 months)
To fit actual chest circumference of approximately 16½ (18, 19, 20) inches, with approximately 1-2 inches of ease
- Finished Chest Circumference: 18½ (20½, 21½, 23 ½) inches
- Finished Length From Neck To Hem:
- Shirt: 6½ (7¼, 8, 8¾) inches
- Dress: 10¼ (11, 12¾, 13¾) inches
Sample: The Dress shown here is size 6-12 months, and the Shirt is size 0-6 months worn with 1 inch of ease.
The Seashell Baby Shirt + Dress is available for purchase as a PDF download only.