Ainur Berkimbayeva For Purl Soho: Pinwheel Baby Romper
Possibly cuter than a sleepy kitten, the Pinwheel Baby Romper exceeds any notion of adorable we may have had! Designed by Ainur Berkimbayeva, always the queen of original ideas and now queen of cute as well, this little romper is the perfect outfit for life’s first steps.
Aside from the baby wearing it, the highlight here is the pinwheel, a whimsical bib that evokes a whirligig in the breeze, a sand dollar on the beach, or a sweet William blossom in the garden. The pinwheel is also where you begin, casting on at its center, then working in the round and increasing at five points.
Next, you cast on stitches for the underarms and work the piece in the round down to the bottom, shaping the hips and gusset into an irresistibly voluminous puffball. Attached I-cords around the armholes finish as straps that tie over the shoulders and adjust with the baby’s size.
To knit up her Pinwheel Baby Romper, Ainur used our lovely Buttercup Cotton. One hundred percent organically grown cotton, it is a fingering weight sweetie with a super soft touch and very nice hand. It is machine wash- and dry-able and has enough yardage that you’ll only need one or two skeins to make a romper for the cutie in your life!
Designed for Purl Soho by Ainur Berkimbayeva.
Share your progress + connect with the community by tagging your pics with #PurlSoho, #PurlSohoBusyHands, #PurlSohoPinwheelBabyRomper, and #PurlSohoButtercupCotton. We can’t wait to see what you make!
- 1 (2, 2) skein(s) of Purl Soho’s Buttercup Cotton, 100% organically grown cotton. Each skein is approximately 364 yards/100 grams; approximately 350 (460, 580) yards required. We used the colors Heirloom White and Pale Denim.
- US 3 (3.25 mm), 24-inch circular needles
- Six US 3 double pointed needles
- Spare double pointed or circular needles, US 3 or smaller
- Stitch markers, including one unique
- Stitch holders or scrap yarn
- A Pinwheel Baby Romper pattern
29 stitches and 52 rounds = 4 inches in garter stitch
29 stitches and 38 rounds = 4 inches in stockinette stitch
3-6 months (6-12 months, 12-18 months)
To fit actual chest circumference of approximately 16 (18, 20) inches with approximately 2-3 inches of ease
- Finished Waist Circumference: 16¼ (18½, 20¾) inches
- Finished Bib Width and Height: 4¼ (4¾, 5¼) inches
- Front Length from Waist to Crotch: 6 (6¾, 7½) inches
- Leg Circumference: 8¼ (9½, 10½) inches
Samples: The rompers shown here are size 3–6 months, worn on baby, and size 6–12 months.
The Pinwheel Baby Romper is available for purchase as a PDF download only.