As much as we may feel like burrowing in, winter this year might be better spent enjoying friends and family in the great outdoors. Our Burrow Hat is all about facing the cold with a full blast of cozy. You’ll definitely need one!
For full-on toastiness, we used two strands of our beautiful Brume. A mix of mohair, wool, and silk, Brume is up for winter’s challenges with its fluffy softness and ear-hugging warmth.
Although you could use two strands of the same color, we love the depth of the gentle marl when you choose closely related colors, like a classic rag hat but way softer!
The style is just as classic: a 2×2 ribbed cuff topped by simple stockinette. Just a few rapid rounds of decreases finishes off the crown with a soft touch.
Sized for babies, toddlers, kids, small and large adults and at a quick worsted weight gauge, whip up a Burrow Hat for everyone you plan on hanging out with this winter!
Designed for Purl Soho by Jake Canton.
- Color A: 1 (1, 1, 1, 1) skein of Purl Soho’s Brume, 58% mohair, 25% wool, and 17% silk. Each skein is 273 yards / 50 grams; approximately 78 (102, 133, 162, 210) yards required.
- Color B: 1 (1, 1, 1, 1) skein of Brume. Approximately 78 (102, 133, 162, 210) yards required.
- For Baby size:
- A set of US 7 (4.5 mm) double pointed needles
- A set of US 8 (5 mm) double pointed needles
- For Toddler, Junior, Adult Small, Adult Large sizes:
- US 7, 16-inch circular needles
- US 8, 16-inch circular needles
- A set of US 8 double pointed needles
- A stitch marker
We made our samples in the following colors…
Baby: Color A, Tea Rose; Color B, Apple Blossom
Toddler: Color A, Blue Lagoon; Color B, Cerulean Sea
Adult Small: Color A, Balsam Green; Color B, Cypress Green
18 stitches and 22 rounds = 4 inches in stockinette stitch, using larger needles with yarn doubled
Baby (Toddler, Kid, Adult Small, Adult Large)
To fit actual head circumference of 16-18 (18½-19½, 20-21, 21¼-22½, 22¾-24) inches
- Finished Ribbing Circumference (unstretched): 9½ (10¼, 11, 12½, 14) inches
- Finished Body Circumference: 14¼ (16, 17¾, 19½, 21¼) inches
- Finished Height (un-cuffed): 8 (9¼, 11, 12½, 13) inches
Using 1 strand of Color A and 1 strand of Color B, cast 64 (72, 80, 88, 96) stitches onto smaller circular needles (or onto smaller double pointed needles for Baby size). We used a basic Long Tail Cast On.
Place marker and join for working in the round, being careful not to twist the stitches.
Round 1: *K2, p2, repeat from * to end of round.
Repeat Round 1 until piece measures 3 (4, 5, 6, 6) inches from cast-on edge.
Change to larger circular needles (or larger double pointed needles for Baby size).
Knit every round until the piece measures 7¾ (9, 11¾, 12¼, 12¾) inches from cast-on edge.
NOTE: Change to double pointed needles when/if necessary.
Next Round: *K2, k2tog, repeat from * to end of round. [48 (54, 60, 66, 72) stitches remain]
Knit 2 rounds.
Next Round: *K1, k2tog, repeat from * to end of round. [32 (36, 40, 44, 48) stitches remain]
Knit 2 rounds.
Next Round: *K2tog, repeat from * to end of round. [16 (18, 20, 22, 24) stitches remain]
Cut yarn and thread tail onto a tapestry needle. Thread tail through remaining stitches.
Pull taut and bring tail to inside of hat to weave in.
Weave in remaining ends and block as desired.