Our Contour Tee gives the classic white cotton version a hand-knit spin: teeming with thoughtful details, flowing with elegance and ease, and way cooler than James Dean ever wore it… because you made it!
Knit in the round from bottom up, this Tee’s simple construction allows each little note to sing. Increases at the front hem align with armhole decreases up top. Those decreases are inset a few inches and turn into neckline shaping, resulting in a zig and a zag, the kind of flattering finish that rewards hand making.
Rounding out the special touches are a little split hem and sweet cap sleeves. Also, we’re happy to say that this pattern is designed to fit up to a 62-inch chest, a continuation of our commitment to more inclusive sizing.
This design truly shines in our beautiful Burnish, our new rayon-from-bamboo beauty. Equal parts pretty and practical, Burnish is durable, 100% vegan, and machine washable. And while white may be classic, Burnish comes in seven colors, so feel free to imagine your Contour Tee in something like deep-sea Prussian Blue or sweet-as-can-be Sweet Pea… Whatever feels like a very-you classic!
Designed for Purl Soho by Adam Aronowitz.
UPDATE: NOW IN SANTOLINA
Our Contour Tee is a wonderful spin on a classic tee and is now available in our Santolina yarn, a unique and lovely mix of 70% organically grown cotton, 20% rayon from bamboo, and 10% hemp. Santolina’s heathery beauty and soft, gently textured hand knit up like your old-but-new favorite tee… Wonderful!
Share your progress + connect with the community by tagging your pics with #PurlSoho, #PurlSohoBusyHands, #PurlSohoContourTee, and #PurlSohoBurnish. We can’t wait to see what you make!
- 3 (4, 4, 5, 5, 6, 6, 7) skeins of Purl Soho’s Burnish, 100% rayon from bamboo. Each skein is 339 yards/ 100 grams; approximately 995 (1115, 1280, 1405, 1580, 1710, 1930, 2070) yards required. We used the Swan White. (NOTE: We no longer offer Burnish, but choose from one of our other fingering weight yarns.)
- US 2 (3 mm), 32-, 40- or 47-inch circular needles (depending on size you are making)
- A spare 24-inch or longer circular needle in US 2 or up to several sizes smaller
- US 2, 16-inch circular needles
- Stitch markers
- Cable stitch holder
- Stitch holders or scrap yarn
- A Contour Tee Pattern
26 stitches and 36 rows = 4 inches in stockinette stitch
NOTE For help picking a size, please check out our Understanding Ease + Selecting Size Tutorial!
38¼ (41¾, 45½, 49¼, 53, 56½, 60¼, 64)
To fit actual chest circumference of 32–36 (36–40, 40–43, 43–47, 47–51, 51–54, 54–58, 58–62) inches, with 2–6 inches of ease
- Finished Chest Circumference: 38¼ (41¾, 45½, 49¼, 53, 56½, 60¼, 64) inches
- Finished Length From Shoulder To Bottom Edge: 24 (24¾, 26¼, 26¾, 28¼, 28½, 30½, 30¾) inches
- Finished Sleeve Length From Underarm To Cuff: 1¼ (1¼, 1½, 1½, 1½, 2¼, 2¼, 2¼) inch(es)
SAMPLE: The sweater pictured here is size 38¼, worn with 5 inches of ease.
The Contour Tee Pattern is available for purchase as a PDF download only.