If you think knitting is all about firesides and weighty wool, you’re missing out on hammocks and feather-light fibers. Warm-weather knitting is half the fun, and our easy, breezy Lovely Lightweight Tee is the prefect project for knitting right through the heat!
A really fun and approachable knit, our Lovely Lightweight Tee introduces our readers to something potentially new: an insanely easy approach to short rows called German Short Rows. We use them to create this tee’s slooped hemlines, neckline, and sleeve caps. Scared? Our new video tutorial will certainly allay those fears and make you wonder why you ever wrapped and turned!
Other than the German Short Rows, the construction is nothing new. A simple bottom-up piece worked in the round to the underarms, then flat for the front and back. You’ll leave the bateau neckline as is, sew the shoulders together, then pick up and knit the cap sleeves in the round, working a pretty decrease detail at the edge to keep those little sleeves from fluttering!
Cattail Silk palette. This perfectly warm-weather 100% silk yarn is now in 13 additional gorgeous colors, including this Flower Field Charcoal, a very unbasic basic. Oh, and you’ll only need 2, 3, or 4 skeins. What?! Yup! So, grab a lemonade and cast on!
Designed for Purl Soho by Adam Aronowitz
- 2 (2, 2, 3) (3, 3, 3, 4) skeins of Purl Soho’s Cattail Silk, 100% silk. Each skein is approximately 618 yards/100 grams; approximately 905 (1020, 1195, 1310) (1505, 1635, 1840, 1990) yards required. We used the color Flower Field Charcoal.
- US 4, 32- or 40-inch circular needles
- US 4, 16-inch circular needles
- A set of US 4 double pointed needles
- Removable stitch markers
- Stitch markers
- Stitch holders or scrap yarn
- A Lovely Lightweight Tee Pattern
24 stitches and 40 rows = 4 inches in stockinette stitch
41 (45, 49, 53) (57, 61, 65, 69)
To fit actual chest circumference of 29–33 (33–37, 37–41, 41–45) (45–49, 49–53, 53–57, 57–61) inches, with 8–12 inches of ease
- Finished Chest Circumference: 41 (45, 49, 53) (57, 61, 65, 69) inches
- Finished Length from Shoulder to Bottom Edge: 22½ (23, 24½, 25) (26¾, 27¼, 28¾, 29¼) inches
SAMPLE: The sweater pictured here is size 41, worn with 8 inches of ease.
The Lovely Lightweight Tee Pattern is available for purchase as a PDF download only.