Beautifully constructed and brilliantly adaptable, these Toe-Up Socks are a revival of the original pair, which was first released in More Last Minute Knitted Gifts, by Purl Soho co-owner Joelle Hoverson. Now sadly out of print, that classic book is full of little gems, like these socks, that we’re hoping to save from the sands of time!
These socks are a quintessential toe-up construction. You cast on and increase at the toe, then, in order, you work the foot; increase for the gusset; turn the heel; create the heel flap with nice cushion-y slip stitches; and the homestretch… work the leg to the top edge.
The pattern includes instructions for working your socks in a simple 2×2 rib, or in delicate corkscrew columns of twisted rib. The twisted rib involves an easy right twist, which you can pick up in no time with our new video tutorial.
We knit up this version of our Toe-Up Socks in Posy, our hand-dyed superwash merino, cashmere, and nylon blend. Equal parts soft and lovely, durable and practical, Posy comes in a gorgeous range of colors, and you’ll need one or two skeins for a pair… but don’t be surprised if you end up making a whole rainbow of socks!
Designed for Purl Soho by Joelle Hoverson.
- 2 (3, 3, 4) skeins of Purl Soho’s Posy, 75% superwash merino, 15% cashmere, and 10% nylon. Each skein is approximately 159 yards/ 50 grams.
- For 2×2 Rib version: Approximately 295 (355, 400, 490) yards required. We used the color Mourning Dove.
- For Twisted Rib version: Approximately 305 (365, 410, 500) yards required. We used the color Heirloom White.
- A set of US 1 double pointed needles
- Stitch marker
- A Toe-Up Socks Pattern NOTE: The only substantive differences between this pattern and the one in More Last Minute Knitted Gifts are the yarn (but not the gauge) and the addition of a smaller size for the 2×2 Rib version and a larger size for the Twisted Rib version.
34 stitches and 40 rows = 4 inches in stockinette stitch
Adult 7 (8, 9, 10)
Foot Circumference: 7 (8, 9, 10) inches. NOTE: Choose a size that is approximately 1–2 inches smaller than the circumference of the wearer’s foot.
Foot Length: Adjustable
The Toe-Up Socks Pattern is available for purchase as a PDF download only.