Ainur Berkimbayeva For Purl Soho: Tiny Tucks Top
Here’s a knit for all kinds of brains: the ones who latch onto feats of engineering, as well as the ones that ponder beauty’s mysteries. Really, we all have room in our brains for both kinds of appreciation, and Ainur Berkimbayeva‘s Tiny Tucks Top is filled with moments of surprise in both departments!
On the construction front, Ainur’s top has an interesting twist around every corner. You start with two front pieces knit flat and sideways, then join them at the center with a pretty ridgeline seam. You then pick up at the shoulders and knit the back in one piece from top to bottom, then graft its sides to the front’s sides. A few rounds of ribbing tidy up the bottom edge, while the neckline and armholes get a pick up and bind off finish. Lots to think about!
In the name of beauty, those tiny tucks! Flowing from the top of the shoulders, they spread like branches of an estuary, gentle and free. You make them as you go, picking up into a row down below, then knitting those stitches together with the live ones on the needles.
And to top it all off, our Cattail Silk with its wonderfully earthy texture, whisper-light drape, and offhand elegance. It also comes in 26 totally lovely colors, from the ones we used here, Pale Wisteria and Kingfisher Blue, to worlds of pink and gray, green and purple.
Whatever color you pick, the hidden beauty of Cattail Silk is that each skein has so much yardage you’ll need just 2 or 3 to make your Tiny Tucks Top!
Share your progress + connect with the community by tagging your pics with #PurlSoho, #PurlSohoBusyHands, #PurlSohoTinyTucksTop and #PurlSohoCattailSilk. We can’t wait to see what you make!
Designed for Purl Soho by Ainur Berkimbayeva.
- 2 (2, 2, 2, 2) (3, 3, 3, 3) skeins of Purl Soho’s Cattail Silk, 100% silk. Each skein is approximately 618 yards/100 grams. Approximately 815 (915, 1015, 1070, 1215) (1355, 1425, 1570, 1780) total yards required. We used the colors Kingfisher Blue and Pale Wisteria.
- US 3 (3.25 mm), 32-inch circular needles
- Spare US 3 or smaller, straight or circular needles
- Crochet hook size D or E (3.25 or 3.5 mm)
- Scrap yarn for provisional cast on
- A stitch marker
- Stitch holders or scrap yarn
- A Tiny Tucks Top Pattern
27 stitches and 40 rows = 4 inches in stockinette stitch
NOTE For help picking a size, please check out our Understanding Ease + Selecting Size Tutorial!
36¾ (41, 44¾, 49, 52½) (56¾, 60¾, 64½, 68½)
To fit actual chest circumference of approximately 32-35 (36-39, 40-43, 44-47, 48-51) (52-55, 56-59, 60-63, 64-67) inches, with 2-5 inches of positive ease
- Finished Chest Circumference: 36¾ (41, 44¾, 49, 52½) (56¾, 60¾, 64½, 68½) inches
- Finished Length From Shoulder to Center Back Hem: 22½ (22¾, 23¼, 23¾, 24¾) (25½, 26¼, 27, 28½) inches
Samples: The Kingfisher Blue top shown here is size 36¾, and the Pale Wisteria top is size 41, worn with 5 inches of ease.
The Tiny Tucks Top Pattern is available for purchase as a PDF download only.