Fundamental Top-Down Pullover
The experience of knitting a sweater in the round is like a natural evolution. Stitch after stitch, round upon round, shapes merge and morph, a jellyfish tamed into a recognizable object that fits!
Our Fundamental Top-Down Pullover traipses through each wonder of its engineering, starting at the neckline, increasing for the yoke, incorporating the sleeves, and binding off at the very bottom. The grand flourish is a pretty spiral of increases around the yoke, but the beauty is in the form-follows-function construction.
We knit up our sweater in our Linen Quill Worsted, a fundamentally lovely blend of fine highland wool, alpaca, and linen. Cozy and compelling, it also has the same down-to-earth beauty as a hand-knit sweater!
Designed for Purl Soho by Adam Aronowitz.
Share your progress + connect with the community by tagging your pics with #PurlSoho, #PurlSohoBusyHands, #PurlSohoFundamentalTopDownPullover, and #PurlSohoLinenQuillWorsted. We can’t wait to see what you make!
- 6 (7, 8, 9) (9, 10, 11, 12) skeins of Purl Soho’s Linen Quill Worsted, 50% fine highland wool, 35% alpaca, and 15% linen. Each skein is approximately 164 yards/100 grams; approximately 955 (1040, 1185, 1330) (1430, 1575, 1730, 1855) yards required. We used the color Peony Pink.
- US 4 (3.5 mm), 16-inch circular needles
- US 6 (4 mm), 16-inch circular needles
- US 6, 24-inch circular needles
- US 6, 32- or 40-inch circular needles, depending on size you are making
- A set of US 6 double pointed needles
- Stitch markers, including one unique
- Stitch holders or scrap yarn
- A Fundamental Top-Down Pullover Pattern
20 stitches and 26 rounds = 4 inches in stockinette stitch, using larger needles
NOTE: For help deciding which size to knit, please visit our Understanding Ease + Selecting Your Size tutorial.
38½ (42½, 46½, 50½) (54½, 58½, 62½, 66½)
To fit actual chest circumference of 30–33 (34–37, 38–41, 42–45) (46–49, 50–53, 54–57, 58–61) inches, with approximately 5–8 inches of ease
- Finished Chest Circumference: 38½ (42½, 46½, 50½) (54½, 58½, 62½, 66½) inches
- Finished Length From Center Back: 21½ (22¼, 23¾, 25¼) (25½, 26¾, 28¼, 29) inches
- Finished Sleeve Length From Underarm: 17½ (17, 17, 16½) (16½, 16½, 16, 16) inches
Sample: The sweater shown here is size 42½, worn with 6½ inches of ease.
The Fundamental Top-Down Pullover is available for purchase as a PDF download only.