To Space + Beyond Hat
Filled with bits of cosmic sparkle and fun, our To Space + Beyond Hat makes an unforgettable companion on all your travels, whether you’re blasting off for the outer galaxies or just running to the corner deli on a cold winter morning!
The special sauce here is our fabulous Comet, a truly intergalactic yarn created by amazing yarn-makers Knit Collage just for Purl Soho. A wild combination of wool, mohair, silk, and other-wordly sparkle, each skein is a glorious ode to the love of fiber!
At about 1 stitch to the inch, you’ll be done with your first hat before the countdown reaches “Blast off”!
Designed for Purl Soho by Adam Aronowitz.
- 1 (2) skeins of Purl Soho + Knit Collage’s Comet. Each color is a unique blend of wool, silk, mohair, and a touch of Angelina sparkle. We used Deep Space (bottom right) for the Kid size and Meteor Shower (bottom left) for the Adult size. Each skein is 34 yards/115 grams; approximately 28 (30) yards required.
- Optional Pom Pom: 1 skein of Purl Soho’s Super Soft Merino, 100% merino wool. Each skein is 87 yards/100 grams; approximately 70 yards required. We used Cobalt Blue for the Kid size and Heirloom White for the Adult size.
- Optional: Purl Soho’s Pom Pom Maker Set, Extra Large + Jumbo size
- US 17 (12 mm), 16-inch circular needles
- A set of US 17 double pointed needles
- A jumbo stitch marker
4½ stitches and 8 rounds = 4 inches stockinette stitch
Finished Circumference: Approximately 17 (21) inches
Finished Height: 8 (10) inches
Cast 20 (24) stitches onto circular needles.
Place marker for working in the round, being careful not to twist the stitches.
Work in stockinette stitch, knitting every round, until piece measures 5 (6½) inches from cast-on edge (unrolled).
Redistribute stitches onto 4 double pointed needles. [5 (6) stitches each needle]
Decrease Round: [Knit to last 2 stitches on double pointed needle, knit 2 together (k2tog)] 4 times. [4 stitches decreased]
Next Round: Knit to end of round.
Repeat last 2 rounds 1 (2) more time(s), then repeat Decrease Round once more. [8 (8) stitches remain]
Next Round: [K2tog] 4 times. [4 (4) stitches remain]
Cut yarn, leaving an 8-inch tail and thread it onto a tapestry needle. Thread tail through remaining live stitches and pull tight. Pass tail through to the inside.
Weave in ends.
If you’re using Purl Soho’s Pom Pom Maker Set, use the Extra Large size from the Extra Large + Jumbo Set and the 3½-inch Trim Guide. We used a skein of our Super Soft Merino yarn. Follow the basic instructions for a Solid Pom Pom found in our Pom Pom Tutorial.
ATTACH POM POM
Thread each pom pom tail separately through the top of the hat’s crown to inside of hat. Tie the tails into a knot, then thread the tails up through the pom pom itself and trim them flush with the pom pom.