DEGEN For Purl Soho: City Block Sweater + Vintage Taxi Booties
This pattern double-whammy was born in the spirit of our hometown, New York City. And who better to capture its hustle and bustle than the spunky, surprising, and super-NYC knitwear designer, Lindsay Degen?
Lindsay created her City Block Sweater and Vintage Taxi Booties as an ode to glorious Big Apple moxie, as well as to the unfettered nature of babies. Simple intarsia stripes and checks make colorful splashes in these roomy and practical garments, giving babies full freedom of expression!
Both patterns use Purl Soho’s Pocket Posy mini skeins, and the sweater also requires two Posy full-size skeins. Both yarns are a kid-proof blend of superwash merino, cashmere and nylon that also happen to be beautifully hand dyed and machine-washable, too!
You don’t need any big-city know-how to knit these little gems. The City Block Sweater works up in simple flat pieces with easy blocks of color along the way, and the whole thing is seamed together at the end. The Vintage Taxi Booties are knit in one top-down piece with double-yarn soles for super squish and I-cord laces for staying put.
Thank you, Lindsay, for your pluck and spirit, and to knitters… Wherever your little ones may roam, may they be like New Yorkers, brave and bold!
Designed for Purl Soho by Lindsay Degen.
- Main Color (MC): 2 skeins of Purl Soho’s Posy, 75% superwash merino, 15% cashmere, and 10% nylon. Each skein is approximately 318 yards/100grams; approximately 360 (395, 440, 500, 585) total yards required. We used the color Mourning Dove for one sample and Black Cherry for the other.
- Contrast Color 1 (CC1): 1 skein of Pocket Posy, 75% superwash merino, 15% cashmere, and 10% nylon. Each skein is approximately 79 yards/25 grams; approximately 30 (30, 35, 35, 40) total yards required. We used Sour Gooseberry for the Mourning Dove Sample and Azalea Glow for the Black Cherry one.
- Contrast Color 2 (CC2): 1 skein of Pocket Posy. Approximately 20 (20, 25, 25, 30) total yards required. We used Marigold Orange for the Mourning Dove sample and Lilac Mist for the Black Cherry one.
- US 2, 24-inch circular needles or long straight needles
- Stitch markers
- Stitch holders or scrap yarn
- Intarsia bobbins (optional)
- A DEGEN for Purl Soho: City Block Sweater Pattern
- COLOR A: 1 (1, 2) skein(s) of Purl Soho’s Pocket Posy, 75% superwash merino, 15% cashmere, and 10% nylon. Each skein is approximately 79 yards/25 grams; approximately 65 (70, 85) yards required.
- COLORS B, C, and D: 1 skein of Pocket Posy for each color. Approximately 35 (35, 40) yards of Color B, 15 (15, 25) yards of Color C, and 35 (35, 45) yards of Color D required.
- A set of US 2 double pointed needles
- Stitch markers
- A DEGEN for Purl Soho: Vintage Taxi Booties Pattern
27 stitches and 35 rows = 4 inches in stockinette stitch
3 months (6 months, 12 months, 18 months, 24 months)
Finished Chest Circumference: 18½ (20, 22, 23½, 25½) inches
Finished Body Length From Bottom Edge To Underarm: 5½ (5½, 6, 6¼, 7¼) inches
Finished Body Length From Bottom Edge To Top Of Shoulder: 11½ (11¾, 12½, 13, 14¼) inches
Finished Sleeve Length: 5½ (5¾, 6¼, 6¾, 7¾) inches
Samples: The sweaters pictured here are sizes 6 months (in Mourning Dove) and 12 months (in Black Cherry)
Newborn–3 months (6–9 months, 12 months)
3½ (3¾, 4) inches foot length
Sample: The booties pictured here are size 6–9 months.