Incline Decline Cardigan
The lines and planes of our Incline Decline Cardigan form their own hibernal landscape, like spare slopes converging in a valley or branches stretching from a bare tree… Quiet details and big gestures.
Garter stitch is put to good use here in a multi-directional design that features bands of stockinette at the seams. These simple stitches are the perfect language for the unconventional construction of this very fascinating knit.
It is composed of four pieces: two fronts and two backs. Each piece is knit on the bias, which, technically, means that the grain of the fabric is on the diagonal and, practically, means that you increase, decrease, or both at the beginning and end of each row…. Pretty cool and kind of an adventure!
Once you’ve knit the two back pieces (starting at each cuff), you join them up the center of the back, then you throw the two fronts into the mix and sew the seams along the shoulders, sleeves, and sides. Lastly, you’ll pick up stitches to knit the garter stitch band and collar.
And to give a beautiful drape and super-soft feel to the whole thing, we used our gorgeous Cashmere Merino Bloom. It’s a wonderful yarn to accompany you on this winter knitting excursion!
Designed for Purl Soho by Mary Anne Benedetto.
Share your progress and connect with the community by tagging your pics with #PurlSoho, #PurlSohoBusyHands, #PurlSohoInclineDeclineCardigan, and #PurlSohoCashmereMerinoBloom. We can’t wait to see what you make!
- 6 (7, 7, 8, 9, 10) skeins of Purl Soho’s Cashmere Merino Bloom, 75% extra fine merino wool and 25% cashmere. Each skein is approximately 218 yards/ 100g; approximately 1225 (1335, 1510, 1685, 1895, 2025) yards required. We used Dove Gray and Blue Rust.
- US 7 (4.5 mm), 32-inch circular needles
- A set of US 7 double pointed needles
- Stitch holders or scrap yarn
- Stitch markers
- Removable stitch markers
- An Incline Decline Cardigan Pattern
20 stitches and 40 rows = 4 inches in garter stitch
NOTE For help picking a size, please check out our Understanding Ease + Selecting Size Tutorial!
39 (42, 47, 51, 55, 59)
To fit actual chest circumference of 31–34 (34–38, 39–43, 43–47, 47–51, 51–55) inches, with approximately 4–8 inches of ease
- Finished Chest Circumference: 39 (42, 47, 51, 55, 59) inches
- Finished Length From Shoulder To Bottom Edge: 20¾ (21½, 22¾, 24, 25¾, 26¼) inches
- Finished Length From Underarm To Bottom Edge: 14 (14, 15, 15, 16, 16) inches
- Finished Sleeve Length From Cuff To Underarm: 18 (18, 18½, 18½, 18¾, 18¾) inches
SAMPLE: The Dove Gray sweater pictured here is size 42, worn with 8 inches of ease.
The Incline Decline Cardigan Pattern is available for purchase as a PDF download only.