Amidst summer’s lemonade, swimming pools and fireflies, it may feel pretty counter-intuitive to think about Christmas right now. But hard as it may be to replace thoughts of popsicles with visions of sugarplums, July’s long, lazy days are a great time to get started on a very special holiday project!
We love the sweet, vintage flavor of Purl Soho’s Advent Calendar Kit, and while its exquisite details are what make it so special, this project can’t exactly be classified as quick. So, instead of adding to your future holiday stress, you might want to consider getting started now! Our Advent Calendar Kit includes everything you’ll need, from a rainbow of lovely wool felt to sequins, beads, and embroidery thread.
And in response to popular demand, we’re happy to announce that we are now selling the Advent Calendar Pattern (with templates) on its own! Choose to recieve our full-color instructional booklet in the mail or as a quick and easy PDF dowlnload.
Plus, we’ve added some à la carte supplies to our menu. Pick our 12-gram tins of sequins and 9-gram tin of beads, individually or all together, and also available, a pack of 6 beading needles… all right here!
Buying the Advent Calendar Pattern on its own? Here’s what else you’ll need…
- 100% wool felt for the Background and Pockets. We used ½ yard of Wollfilz’s 1mm Wool Felt Yardage, cut to 18 x 36 inches, in the color Ecru.
- 100% wool felt for the Tree (at least 18 by 18 inches). We used Wollfilz’s 1mm Precut Wool Felt in Olive.
- 100% wool felt for the Ornaments in an assortment of colors. There are 24 Ornaments, which each requires two 3 x 3-inch pieces of felt (a Felt Bundle would work great!). We used Wollfilz’s 1mm Precut Wool Felt in 10 colors: Tomato, Bright Pink, Coral, Peach, Yellow, Ochre, Pea, Moss, Mouse, and Ecru.
- Sewing thread to coordinate with felt colors
- One skein of embroidery floss (for the numbers)
- An embroidery needle
- A beading needle
- Seed beads
- Straight pins
- An iron-on transfer pencil
- A fabric marker
- Stuffing for the ornaments
- A 15-inch long 1/4-inch wood dowel for hanging
Even though this project has Christmas written all over it, the little ornaments make for surprisingly great summer sewing, easy and portable enough to tuck into weekend totes and carry on bags. So why not cut your future holiday self a break? Come November, you’ll be glad you did!