Amelia Putri For Purl Soho: Double Diamond Socks
Don’t let the name “Double Diamond” scare you. We’re not talking about skiing here! In this case, double diamonds are the design motif all over these twinkly socks, which, by the way, would be pretty cozy after a day battling the slopes.
These wonderfully complex, but not expert, socks were created by Indonesian designer, Amelia Putri, and her inspiration was far from snowy mountains. Really, she was thinking about twinkly diamonds for dancing feet and the beauty of our hand-dyed Posy.
A self-taught knitter, Amelia manages to pack some pretty thrilling techniques into her Double Diamond Socks. Toe-up in construction, you’ll get to use the Magic Loop method, an easy way to sidestep double pointed needles, as well as follow along with simple knitting charts and work German Short Rows to shape the heels.
If you’re looking around for an intermediate blue trail about now, remember that trying new knitting techniques is a lot less risky than barreling down an expert mogul run… and we have tutorials that safely walk you through every step!
Aside from the clever design and stunning colorwork, the Double Diamond Socks’ beauty lies in our hand-dyed Posy. A mix of superwash merino, cashmere, and nylon, Posy is incredibly soft, machine wash- and dry-able, and very lovely, just right for sock making, from beginner to expert and everything in between!
Designed for Purl Soho by Amelia Putri.
Share your progress + connect with the community by tagging your pics with #PurlSoho, #PurlSohoBusyHands, #PurlSohoDoubleDiamondSocks, and #PurlSohoPosy. We can’t wait to see what you make!
- Purl Soho’s Posy, 75% superwash merino, 15% cashmere, and 10% nylon. Each skein is approximately 159 yards/50 grams.
- Main Color (MC): 2 (2, 2, 3) skeins; approximately 245 (275, 315, 335) total yards required. We used the color Mourning Dove for one pair of socks and Drizzle Gray for the other.
- Contrast Color (CC): 1 (1, 1, 1) skein; approximately 60 (70, 80, 85) total yards required. We used the color Maple Wood with the Mourning Dove pair of socks and Pink Papaya with the Drizzle Gray.
- US 1½ (2.75 mm), 32-inch circular needles
- US 2 (3 mm), 32-inch circular needles
- US D (3.25 mm) crochet hook for Provisional Cast On
- Scrap yarn for Provisional Cast On
- A stitch marker
- A Double Diamond Socks Pattern
NOTE: Looking to knit your socks in double-time? Check out our Magic Loop: Two At A Time Tutorial!
36 stitches and 36 rounds = 4 inches over Colorwork Chart on larger needles
32 stitches and 40 rounds = 4 inches in single color stockinette stitch on larger needles
Adult Small (Medium, Large, Extra Large)
Finished Foot Circumference: 7 (7½, 8, 8½) inches, comfortably stretching up to 2 inches
Finished Foot Length: Adjustable
Samples: The Mourning Dove and Maple Wood socks are size Medium, and the Drizzle Gray and Pink Papaya ones are size Small.
The Double Diamond Sock Pattern is available for purchase as a PDF download only.