Basic Hats For Everyone In New Colors!
Thanks to a fresh new palette of Worsted Twist colors, our Basic Hats For Everyone are back in a whole new world of velvet blues and teacake pinks. Like a hydrangea forest, we love the vibe!
And no pattern is better suited for color play than our Basic Hats For Everyone. A real classic, it includes instructions for four different brims, plus sizes from baby to grandpa.
And one more choice: to pom pom or not to pom pom. Ours are so squishy cute it’s hard to say no. Worsted Twist adds fluffy softness, and our Pom Pom Maker Set churns out perfectly dense sweeties every time!
The perfect marriage of simplicity, flexibility, and fun, this is the kind of pattern we turn to at every gift-giving opportunity. In the old days, we’d say that it was our most dog-eared pattern, but now, let’s just say it has a special place on our desktop!
Designed for Purl Soho by Joelle Hoverson.
Share your progress + connect with the community by tagging your pics with #PurlSoho, #PurlSohoBusyHands, #PurlSohoBasicHatsForEveryone, and #PurlSohoWorstedTwist. We can’t wait to see what you make!
- Purl Soho’s Worsted Twist, 100% merino wool. (NOTE: We no longer offer Worsted Twist, but choose from one of our other worsted/aran weight yarns.) For a one-color hat without a pom pom, you’ll need…
- Rolled Brim Hat: 1 (1, 1, 1) skein
- Ribbed Brim Hat: 1 (1, 1, 1) skein
- Garter Brim Hat: 1 (1, 1, 2) skein(s)
- Garter Brim Hat with Ear Flaps: 1 (1, 2, 2) skein(s)
NOTE: Pom poms take an additional 65-100 yards or so.
- US 7 (4.5 mm), 16-inch circular needles
- US 7 double pointed needles
- Our Basic Hats for Everyone Pattern
- Optional: Pom Pom Maker. We used Purl Soho’s Extra Large/ Jumbo Pom Pom Maker.
Here are the color combinations we used…
Baby rib brim hat in Blue Pansy with Jumbo pom pom in Blue Blue
Baby garter ear flap hat in Peony Pink with Blue Blue tassels
Kid rib brim hat in Mountain Rose
Kid garter brim hat in Reed Gray and Mountain Rose
Adult Small garter ear flap hat in Mountain Blue with Extra Large pom pom in Blue Blue
Adult Small roll brim hat in Blue Blue with Extra Large pom pom in Reed Gray
20 stitches and 28 rounds = 4 inches in stockinette stitch
Baby (Kid, Adult Small, Adult Large)
- Finished Circumference: 14 (16, 18, 20) inches
- Finished Height (from cast-on edge to top of crown): 7 (8, 9, 10) inches
The Basic Hats for Everyone Pattern is available for purchase as a PDF download.