Knit Octopus in Season Alpaca
We know how Ringo Starr felt about gardens and octopuses, the sea and the shade, and we couldn’t agree more. Like that fabled octopus, we’d like to escape to a nice, cool spot this August, preferably with enough Season Alpaca to whip up our own Knit Octopus!
Wherever you’re anchored, you’ll have a whale of a time knitting up this leggy number. We used our super soft Season Alpaca, doubled for twice the nice, in cool and simple Dove Gray. But like color-fickle octopuses themselves, we think Stillwater Blue or Peach Stone, Lavender Moon or Heirloom White would yield equally tantalizing tentacles!
Our eight-legged friend is knit in the round with a smooth stockinette head and a textured under-carriage. We’ve spared you the 1,920 little suction cups the real thing has in favor of a seamless seed stitch construction that requires absolutely no sewing up.
A scientific rumor circulated recently that octopuses are actually alien because their DNA is like nothing else found on planet Earth. So on this 8/8/18, find a shady garden and cast on for something truly out of this world!
Designed for Purl Soho by Whitney Van Nes
- 3 skeins of Purl Soho’s Season Alpaca, 100% baby alpaca. We used Dove Gray. PLEASE NOTE: This pattern uses just about all of the 3 skeins. So if you’re worried about running out of yarn, please buy an extra skein. You can exchange it if you don’t end up needing it (click right here for Purl Soho’s return policy).
- A bag of Fairfield’s Poly-Fit stuffing
- About 2 yards of scrap yarn for the eyes. We used Season Alpaca in Heirloom White.
- US 6, 16-inch circular needles
- A set of US 6 double pointed needles
4½ stitches = 1 inch in stockinette stitch, with the yarn doubled
- Circumference Around Widest Part Of Body: 20½ inches
- Height Of Body: 7½ inches
- Length Of Each Arm: 10 inches
You will use the Season Alpaca doubled throughout this pattern. The easiest way to do this is to pull from two balls at once.
For the free pattern, please visit our original Knit Octopus story.