Julie Hoover for Purl Soho: Addison
When I go to my closet to pick out a favorite sweater, the first thing I reach for is a boxy pullover. For me, that shape is perfect for any occasion and always feels comfortable. This Addison design falls right into that category.
I used a classic seed stitch pattern to give the fabric an interesting textural feel, but since it’s an all-over pattern, the Addison maintains a minimal look. You knit each piece separately so there is a little bit of seaming involved, but that’s necessary for an oversized fit to hold up over time. You’ll be glad you made the extra effort!
Flax Down and Cashmere Merino Bloom work equally well for this design. Each yarn has a soft halo and beautiful drape, making it hard to decide which one to use. You may need to knit one of each (I sure did!).
NOTE: Choose from two different Purl Soho yarns. Each works perfectly for this pattern!
- 6 (6, 7, 7, 8, 9) skeins of Purl Soho’s Flax Down, 43% baby alpaca, 42% extra fine merino, 15% linen. This is Heirloom White, shown above left.
- 6 (7, 7, 8, 9, 10) skeins of Purl Soho’s Cashmere Merino Bloom, 75% extra fine merino wool, 25% cashmere. This is Salt + Pepper, shown above right.
You’ll also need…
- US 7, 16-inch circular needle
- US 7, 24-inch circular needle
- US 6, 16-inch circular needle
- Stitch marker
- 2 locking markers
- Stitch holders or scrap yarn
- Blocking wires and T-Pins (optional, but recommended)
- Julie Hoover for Purl Soho’s Addison Pattern
17 stitches and 32 rows = 4 inches in Seed Stitch on larger needles
42½ (46, 50, 53½, 57½, 61)
- Finished Bust Circumference: 42½ (46, 50, 53½, 57½, 61) inches
- Finished Length from Shoulder to Bottom Edge: 25¼ (25¾, 27¾, 28½, 30½, 31¼) inches
- Finished Length from Underarm to Bottom Edge: 15 (15, 16, 16, 17, 17) inches
- Finished Length from Underarm to Cuff: 12½ inches
- Length from Center Neck to Cuff: 24¾ (25¾, 26¾, 27½, 28½, 29½) inches
- Length from Shoulder to Underarm: 10½ (11, 12, 12¾, 13¾, 14½) inches
EASE: This garment is designed with 9- to 11-inch ease around the bust.
SAMPLE: The sweaters pictured here are Size 46 inches with +12 inches of ease
Addison is available as either a hard copy or download.