Julie Hoover for Purl Soho: Addison
When I go to my closet to pick out a favorite sweater, the first thing I reach for is a boxy pullover. For me, that shape is perfect for any occasion and always feels comfortable. This Addison design falls right into that category.
I used a classic seed stitch pattern to give the fabric an interesting textural feel, but since it’s an all-over pattern, the Addison maintains a minimal look. You knit each piece separately so there is a little bit of seaming involved, but that’s necessary for an oversized fit to hold up over time. You’ll be glad you made the extra effort!
Flax Down and Cashmere Merino Bloom work equally well for this design. Each yarn has a soft halo and beautiful drape, making it hard to decide which one to use. You may need to knit one of each (I sure did!).
Share your progress and connect with the community by tagging your pics with #PurlSoho, #PurlSohoBusyHands, #PurlSohoAddison, #PurlSohoFlaxDown, and #PurlSohoCashmereMerinoBloom. We can’t wait to see what you make!
Whether you wear your Addison alone or layered over a favorite shirt, it is sure to be what you reach for in your closet! -Julie
NOTE: Choose from two different Purl Soho yarns. Each works perfectly for this pattern!
- 6 (6, 7, 7, 8) (9, 9, 10, 10) skeins of Purl Soho’s Flax Down, 43% baby alpaca, 42% extra fine merino, 15% linen. Each skein is 219 yards/ 100 grams; approximately 1314 (1314, 1533, 1533, 1752, 1971) yards required. This is Heirloom White, shown above left. (NOTE: We no longer offer Flax Down, but choose from one of our other light worsted/dk weight yarns.)
- 6 (7, 7, 8, 9) (10, 10, 11, 11) skeins of Purl Soho’s Cashmere Merino Bloom, 75% extra fine merino wool, 25% cashmere. Each skein is 219 yards/ 100 grams; approximately 1308 (1526, 1526, 1744, 1962, 2180) yards required. This is Heirloom White, shown above left. This is Salt + Pepper, shown above right.
You’ll also need…
- US 7 (4.5mm), 16-inch circular needle
- US 7, 24-inch circular needle
- US 6 (4mm), 16-inch circular needle
- Stitch marker
- 2 locking markers
- Stitch holders or scrap yarn
- Blocking wires and T-Pins (optional, but recommended)
- Julie Hoover for Purl Soho’s Addison Pattern
17 stitches and 32 rows = 4 inches in Seed Stitch on larger needles
NOTE For help picking a size, please check out our Understanding Ease + Selecting Size Tutorial!
42½ (46, 50, 53½, 57½) (61, 65, 68½, 72½)
- Finished Chest Circumference: 42½ (46, 50, 53½, 57½) (61, 65, 68½, 72½) inches
- To fit actual chest circumference of 32–34 (35–37, 39–41, 43–45, 47–49) (50–52, 54–56, 58–60, 62–64) inches with approximately 9–11 inches of ease
- Finished Length From Shoulder To Bottom Edge: 25¼ (25¾, 27¾, 28½, 30½) (31¼, 31½, 31¾, 32¼) inches
- Finished Length From Underarm To Bottom Edge: 15 (15, 16, 16, 17) (17, 17, 17, 17) inches
- Finished Length from Underarm to Cuff: 12½ inches
- Length from Center Neck to Cuff: 24¾ (25¾, 26¾, 27½, 28½, 29½) inches
- Finished Length From Underarm To Cuff: 12½ inches
SAMPLE: The sweaters pictured here are Size 46 inches with +12 inches of ease
Addison is available as a PDF download.