If there were a song for my Bobble Yoke Sweater along the lines of the kid’s classic “Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes”, it’d go “Neck, Yo-oke, Body and Sleeves…” Knitting this sweater is that easy (and fun!).
In the age-old top-down, round-yoke method of knitting a sweater, this one starts with a rib and ends with the same, but between the two, there’s a knitting adventure: A playful, marled yoke, shaped with bubbly little bobbles; a technique for working underarm stitches that avoids both sewing and the Kitchener Stitch (!); and simple sleeves knit right off the yoke.
I paired all these sweet details with our most sumptuous yarns: two strands of Jade Sapphire’s 2 Ply Mongolian Cashmere, cede to one strand of cashmere plus one strand of Purl Soho’s gorgeous 100% merino Line Weight, to finish with two strands of Line Weight. You’ll also need our Bobble Yoke Sweater for Babies + Toddlers Pattern. It’s sized for little ones from nine months to five years and it’s full of helpful tips and photos! Get it as a hardcopy, a download or both!
A traditional style plus a beautiful mixture of materials and textures equals a modern-day heirloom-to-be. Sometimes it’s as easy as that. Old structures, new yarns and charming stitches come together as if meant to be, as easy as “Neck, Yo-oke, Body and Sleeves”! -Laura
- Yarn A: 1 skein of Jade Sapphire’s 2-Ply Cashmere, 100% Mongolian cashmere. I used the color Ivory.
- Yarn B: 2 skeins of Purl Soho’s Line Weight, 100% merino. I used the color Desert Blue
- A US #5, 16-inch circular needle
- A US #5, 24-inch circular needle
- A set of US #5 double pointed needles
- 2 stitch markers
- Stitch holders and/or scrap yarn
- A Bobble Yoke Sweater for Babies + Toddlers Pattern
For more color inspiration I swatched up a few of our other favorite colors…
Top Row: Yellow Yellow, Desert Blue, Super Pink; Middle Row: Steel Blue, Red Zinnia, Storm Gray; Bottom Row: Artemisia Green, Peacock, Pink Grapefruit
24 stitches and 34 rows = 4 inches in stockinette stitch, holding two strands of Yarn B
9-12 months (18 months, 2 years, 3-4 years, 5 years)
- Finished Chest Circumference: 20 (20 ¾, 22, 24, 26) inches
- Finished Length from Shoulder to Bottom Edge: 12 (13 ¼, 14 ½, 15 ¼, 16) inches
- Finished Length from Underarm to Bottom Edge: 6 (7, 8, 8 ½, 8 ¾) inches
- Finished Length from Cuff to Underarm: 6 ½ (7, 8 ½, 9 ½, 11) inches
- Ease: This garment is designed with a 2-inch ease around the chest.
- Sample: Pictured here is little Lupe wearing the 2 years size!
Januaray 2015: Our Bobble Yoke Sweater is no longer just for itty bitties!
When we posted our original pattern for Babies + Toddlers, your response was loud and clear, “I love it, but what about my 10-year old? Wait, what about me?!” We heard you, and so, we’re happy to announce that we’ve expanded our Bobble Yoke Sweater Pattern collection to include sizes for both Kids and Women. Now everyone can get in on the action! For more images and information, click here!