Bobble Yoke Sweater for Babies + Toddlers
If there were a song for my Bobble Yoke Sweater along the lines of the kid’s classic “Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes”, it’d go “Neck, Yo-oke, Body and Sleeves…” Knitting this sweater is that easy (and fun!).
In the age-old top-down, round-yoke method of knitting a sweater, this one starts with a rib and ends with the same, but between the two, there’s a knitting adventure: A playful, marled yoke, shaped with bubbly little bobbles; a technique for working underarm stitches that avoids both sewing and the Kitchener Stitch (!); and simple sleeves knit right off the yoke.
I paired all these sweet details with our most sumptuous yarns: two strands of Jade Sapphire’s 2 Ply Mongolian Cashmere, cede to one strand of cashmere plus one strand of Purl Soho’s gorgeous 100% merino Line Weight, to finish with two strands of Line Weight. You’ll also need our Bobble Yoke Sweater for Babies + Toddlers Pattern. It’s sized for little ones from nine months to five years and it’s full of helpful tips and photos!
A traditional style plus a beautiful mixture of materials and textures equals a modern-day heirloom-to-be. Sometimes it’s as easy as that. Old structures, new yarns and charming stitches come together as if meant to be, as easy as “Neck, Yo-oke, Body and Sleeves”! -Laura
Share your progress and connect with the community by tagging your pics with #PurlSoho, #PurlSohoBusyHands, #PurlSohoBobbleYokeSweater, and #PurlSohoLineWeight. We can’t wait to see what you make!
- Yarn A: 1 skein of Jade Sapphire’s 2-Ply Cashmere, 100% Mongolian cashmere. Each skein is 400 yards/ 55 grams; approximately 95 (100, 105, 120, 140) yards required. We used the color Ivory.
- Yarn B: 2 skeins of Purl Soho’s Line Weight, 100% merino. Each skein is 494 yards/ 100 grams; approximately 505 (575, 685, 805, 935) yards required. We used the color Desert Blue.
- A US 5 (3.75 mm), 16-inch circular needle
- A US 5, 24-inch circular needle
- A set of US 5 double pointed needles
- 2 stitch markers
- Stitch holders and/or scrap yarn
- A Bobble Yoke Sweater for Babies + Toddlers Pattern
For more color inspiration I swatched up a few of our other favorite colors…
Top Row: Yellow Yellow, Desert Blue, Super Pink; Middle Row: Steel Blue, Red Zinnia, Storm Gray; Bottom Row: Artemisia Green, Peacock, Pink Grapefruit
24 stitches and 34 rows = 4 inches in stockinette stitch, holding two strands of Yarn B
9-12 months (18 months, 2 years, 3-4 years, 5 years)
- Finished Chest Circumference: 20 (20¾, 22, 24, 26) inches
- Finished Length from Shoulder to Bottom Edge: 12 (13¼, 14½, 15¼, 16) inches
- Finished Length from Underarm to Bottom Edge: 6 (7, 8, 8½, 8¾) inches
- Finished Length from Cuff to Underarm: 6½ (7, 8½, 9½, 11) inches
- Ease: This garment is designed with a 2-inch ease around the chest.
- Sample: Pictured here is little Lupe wearing the 2 years size!
Update New Colors + Sizes!
August 30, 2021
A new look in new colors, our Bobble Yoke Sweater Pattern is now sized from 9-month old babies to size 14 kid. You knit this beauty up using two strands of super soft Line Weight merino. Click here to read more!