Ainur Berkimbayeva For Purl Soho: Center Point Popover In Tulip Cotton
Ainur Berkimbayeva’s Center Point Popover breaks the sweater mold and creates something entirely unique, completely individual, and totally on point.
Inspired by Ainur’s love of geometry and some paperfolding experimentation, the Center Point Popover is an exciting tribute to shape and texture. You knit the front and back separately, from that striking center point out, then join the pieces and shape for the hips and shoulders. Choose a hood or not, long or short sleeves, and in the end, it’s exactly right for you.
Originally knit in our Linen Quill Worsted yarn, this time around we used our beautiful Tulip Cotton for a cooler, year-round version. The tidy spin of the yarn adds crisp definition to the lines that reverberate from the center of the piece, and its plant-fiber drape lends an easy elegance. Made in Italy of 100% organically grown, GOTS certified cotton, Tulip Cotton is a gorgeous choice for an extraordinary knit!
Designed for Purl Soho by Ainur Berkimbayeva.
Share your progress and connect with the community by tagging your pics with #PurlSoho, #PurlSohoBusyHands, #PurlSohoCenterPointPopover and #PurlSohoTulipCotton. We can’t wait to see what you make!
- Purl Soho’s Tulip Cotton, 100% organically grown cotton. Each skein is 131 yards/ 100 grams. We used the color Blue Spruce.
- Short Sleeve Without Hood: 7 (8, 9, 10, 11, 13) skeins; approximately 820 (950, 1105, 1250, 1400, 1580) yards required
- Short Sleeve With Hood: 10 (10, 12, 13, 14, 15) skeins; approximately 1185 (1310, 1470, 1615, 1765, 1945) yards required
- Long Sleeve Without Hood: 9 (10, 11, 12, 13, 14) skeins; approximately 1060 (1185, 1345, 1485, 1635, 1820) yards required
- Long Sleeve With Hood: 11 (12, 14, 15, 16, 17) skeins; approximately 1425 (1555, 1710, 1855, 2005, 2185) yards required
- US 4 (3.5 mm), 16-inch circular needles
- US 5 (3.75 mm), 16-inch circular needles
- US 5, 32-inch circular needles
- A set of US 5 double pointed needles
- Stitch markers, including one unique
- A Center Point Popover pattern
18 stitches and 36 rounds = 4 inches in pattern stitch (knit 2 rows, purl 2 rows) on larger needles, after blocking
NOTE: Please visit our Understanding Ease + Selecting A Size tutorial for tips! Also note, this design is very roomy through the bust, so in this case, choose size based on hip measurement.
40½ (45¾, 51, 56½, 61¾, 67)
To fit actual hip circumference of approximately 31–36 (37–42, 43–47, 48–52, 53–57, 58–63) inches with approximately 4–9 inches of positive ease
- Finished Hip Circumference: 40½ (45¾, 51, 56½, 61¾, 67) inches
- Finished Length From Back Neck To Bottom Edge: 16¼ (17½, 19, 20¼, 21½, 23) inches
- Finished Short Sleeve Length From Underarm: 2¼ inches
- Finished Long Sleeve Length From Underarm: 13½ inches (adjustable)
Samples: The Tulip Cotton sweater shown here is size 51, worn with 7½ inches of ease.
The Center Point Popover is available for purchase as a PDF download only.
9 comments on “Ainur Berkimbayeva For Purl Soho: Center Point Popover In Tulip Cotton”
I LOVE the tailoring of the Popover, but am wondering if it could be made without the hood. Many thanks for your thoughts!
I love this pattern, but I would prefer it to be longer or not cropped. Is it possible to simply knit it to fall at the hips?
OMG, the same question I have were asked and answered! Now I have to decide what color I want… maybe more than one?…
I like the two toned version that is shown. How many of each color would it take to make that in the first two sizes?