Named after the English town that is famous for the rowers who wear them, Henley shirts may have more to do with rivers than forests, but we think a banded collar and two-button placket works just about anywhere!
With its easy cropped length and cozy rolled edge collar, we imagine our Forest Henley upping the style game on mushroom forages, climbs to scenic outlooks, and traipses through fern-covered valleys. Its down-to-earth beauty will fit right in!
The construction is simple. You knit the front and back separately from the bottom up, sew them together, then pick up and knit the sleeves in the round from top down. Lots of thoughtful details keep the knitting interesting and the finished piece tailored to a tee!
Our Understory yarn is the perfect foil for such casual piece. Its earthy palette and traditional spin are cabin-toasty, while its baby alpaca, baby yak, and silk blend and gentle drape are going-places elegant.
We used the beautiful Sorrel Green color, a cool under-the-canopy kind of green. We love it but might need another in warm Autumn Moor or neutral Willow Bark… All so wonderfully woodsy!
Designed for Purl Soho by Laura Ferguson.
Share your progress + connect with the community by tagging your pics with #PurlSoho, #PurlSohoBusyHands, #PurlSohoForestHenley, and #PurlSohoUnderstory. We can’t wait to see what you make!
- 4 (4, 5, 5) (6, 6, 7, 7) skeins of Purl Soho’s Understory, 50% baby alpaca, 25% baby yak, 25% silk. Each skein is approximately 250 yards/100 grams; approximately 875 (980, 1090, 1190) (1315, 1435, 1575, 1665) yards required. We used the color Sorrel Green. (NOTE: We no longer offer Understory, but choose from one of our other light worsted/dk weight yarns.)
- US 5 (3.75 mm), 16-inch circular needles
- US 5, 24-inch circular needles
- Another US 5 or smaller, 16- or 20-inch circular needles
- A set of US 5 double pointed needles
- Stitch marker
- Stitch holders
- A quarter yard of smooth, thin scrap yarn
- Two 3/4-inch buttons. We used Purl Soho’s Large Round Buttons in Forest Green.
20 stitches and 28 rows = 4 inches in stockinette stitch
NOTE For help picking a size, please check out our Understanding Ease + Selecting Size Tutorial!
38 (42, 46, 50) (54, 58, 62, 66)
To fit actual chest circumference of approximately 32-34 (36-38, 40-42, 44-46) (48-50, 52-54, 56-68, 60-62) inches with 4-6 inches of ease
- Finished Chest Circumference: 38 (42, 46, 50) (54, 58, 62, 66) inches
- Finished Length From Shoulder To Bottom Edge: 20¼ (20½, 21½, 22) (23, 23½, 24½, 25) inches
- Finished Sleeve Length from Underarm: 17¼ (17¼, 17¼, 17¼ (17¼, 17¾, 18, 18¼) inches
- Sample: The sweater pictured here is size 38, worn with 3 inches of ease.
The Forest Henley Pattern is available for purchase as a PDF download only.