If your needles are ready to go faster than we can say “sweater weather,” cast on for our Up-and-Over Turtleneck, the perfect sweater for apple picking, leaf peeping, and trail blazing!
For this one, you’ll start at the back bottom hem, knit up to the top of the shoulders, then over to the front and down to the front bottom hem. Once you’ve gone “up and over,” you’ll seam the sides and sleeves, then pick up the collar and cuffs to knit them in the round… Done!
Along the way you’ll encounter little details, like pretty decreases at the neck and long cuffs knit perpendicular to the upper sleeves. We love when a pared-down design allows moments like these the space to shine!
A beautiful pattern calls for a beautiful yarn or, in this case, two beautiful yarns. We used a strand of our earthy and sumptuous Understory with a strand of billowy mohair-silk Tussock. It’s a winning combination, creating a classic heather with a halo so lovely it practically glows!
Designed for Purl Soho by Adam Aronowitz.
- Yarn A: 4 (5, 5, 6, 6, 7) skeins of Purl Soho’s Understory, 50% baby alpaca, 25% baby yak, and 25% silk. Each skein is 250 yards/100 grams; approximately 995 (1105, 1210, 1345, 1500, 1615) yards required. We used Ash Blue.
- Yarn B: 4 (4, 4, 5, 5, 5) skeins of Purl Soho’s Tussock, 60% super fine kid mohair and 40% silk. Each skein is 328 yards/25 grams; approximately 1015 (1125, 1235, 1370, 1525, 1640) yards required. We used Cerulean Sea.
- US 6, 36- or 40-inch circular needles (depending on size you are making)
- US 6, 16-inch circular needles
- A set of US 6 double pointed needles
- US size F crochet hook
- Several yards of scrap yarn
- Stitch markers
- 4 removable stitch markers
- Stitch holders
- An Up-And-Over Turtleneck Pattern
You can also choose from the following combinations…
Earth Black + Cypress Green
Field Mint + Bright Jade
Blue Bayou + Pink Joy
Violet Gray + Bright Thistle
Ripe Plum + Anjou Pear
Silver Berry + Alpine Phlox
Willow Bark + Gray Quartz
Pink Earth + Orange Pekoe
18 stitches and 27 rows = 4 inches in stockinette stitch, holding one strand each of Yarns A and B together
45½ (50, 54, 58½, 63, 67½)
To fit actual chest circumference of 33–37 (38–42, 42–46, 47–51, 51–55, 56–60) inches, with approximately 8–12 inches of ease
- Finished Chest Circumference: 45½ (50, 54, 58½, 63, 67½) inches
- Finished Length From Shoulder: 23¾ (24¼, 25, 25¾, 27, 27½) inches
- Finished Sleeve Length From Underarm: 16 (16, 15¾, 15¾, 15¼, 14½) inches
Sample: The sweater pictured here is size 45½, worn with 11 inches of ease.
The Up-And-Over Turtleneck Pattern is available for purchase as a PDF download only.