Julie Hoover For Purl Soho: Copley
We thought that we had probably ticked every box over the years: slippers, leg warmers, pot holders, check, check, check. But Julie Hoover has found and checked yet one more box! We have never ever shared on these pages a hand-knit dress for adults, and why not, when the results are so flattering, so original, so absolutely beautiful?
The Copley is knit in super simple pieces that you seam together at the end, giving the finished garment the perfect amount of structure. Half sleeves and a graceful neckline add style, while gentle waist shaping ensures you’re not wearing a sack. The pockets are a beautiful (and useful!) detail, but if you’re looking for some uninterrupted knitting, they’re optional.
Julie saw the potential for our cotton-linen Lantern to transform this simple silhouette into something truly exquisite. Lantern’s natural, nubbly texture and lovely drape lend to the Copley a deep level of artistry, charisma, and beauty.
Thank you, Julie, for thinking of everything! Have we checked every box now? Probably not, but in the meantime, we’re casting on for our first knit dress!
Designed for Purl Soho by Julie Hoover.
Share your progress and connect with the community by tagging your pics with #PurlSoho, #PurlSohoBusyHands, #PurlSohoCopley, and #PurlSohoLantern. We can’t wait to see what you make!
- 8 (9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15) skeins of Purl Soho’s Lantern, 61% cotton and 39% linen. Each skein is approximately 164 yards/ 100 grams; approximately 1300 (1425, 1590, 1725, 1905, 2040, 2220, 2365) yards required. We used the color Lavender Frost. (NOTE: We no longer offer Lantern, but choose from one of our other worsted weight yarns.)
- US 7 (4.5 mm), 16-inch circular needles
- US 7, 24-inch circular needles
- A set of US 7 double pointed needles
- Stitch markers
- 4 locking markers
- Stitch holders or scrap yarn
- Waste yarn for provisional stitches
- Blocking wires and T-pins (optional, but recommended)
- A Copley Pattern
18 stitches and 29 rows = 4 inches in stockinette stitch
NOTE For help picking a size, please check out our Understanding Ease + Selecting Size Tutorial!
36 (40, 44, 48, 52, 56, 60, 64)
To fit actual chest circumference of 30–33 (34–37, 38–41, 42–45, 46–49, 50–53, 54–57, 58–61) inches, with approximately 3–6 inches of ease
- Finished Chest Circumference: 36 (40, 44, 48, 52, 56, 60, 64) inches
- Finished Length From Shoulder To Bottom Edge: 36¼ (36¾, 38¼, 38¾, 40¼, 40¾, 42¼, 42¾) inches
- Finished Length From Underarm To Bottom Edge: 25 (25, 26, 26, 27, 27, 28, 28) inches
- Finished Length From Underarm To Cuff: 10 (10, 10, 10, 9½, 9, 8½, 8) inches
- Length From Center Neck To Cuff: 21 (22, 23, 24, 24½, 25, 25½, 26) inches
- Length From Shoulder To Underarm: 11¼ (11¾, 12¼, 12¾, 13¼, 13¾, 14¼, 14¾) inches
Sample: The dress shown here is Size 40 worn with 6 inches of ease.
The Copley Pattern is available for purchase as a PDF download only.