Norah Gaughan For Purl Soho: Wherefore Art Thou Pullover
Knit-design legend Norah Gaughan is known for her fearless embrace of texture and innovative construction. Often rooted in the mathematics of naturally occurring patterns, Norah’s designs are smart, inspiring, and always special.
We are thrilled to share Norah’s newest design, the Wherefore Art Thou Pullover. The stuff of star-crossed lovers, tragic romance, and soft, billowy sleeves, this sweater calls our name… Oh, Romeo!
Unlike complicated love lives, this pattern is utterly simple. You start at the neckline, work decorative raglan increases, set stitches aside for the sleeves, and then knit down to the bottom hem. Returning to the sleeves, you’ll knit them in the round, increasing for the signature puff, then working in easy broken rib down to the cuff. The last step is picking up for the collar and using German Short Rows for a nice, rounded shape that flatteringly climbs the nape.
A straightforward knit but with details that tell a far richer story, we love the bands of purl stitches around the sleeves, the raglan increases that echo the sleeves’ stitch pattern, and of course, the shaping: romantic but modern, dramatic but sensible.
Knit up in our Linen Quill Worsted, Norah’s Dark Iris version of her Wherefore Art Thou Pullover is a wonderfully moody near-neutral, while ours in Crocus Bud is a lighter take on romance. A blend of fine highland wool, alpaca, and linen, Linen Quill Worsted is rugged enough to withstand a broken heart, but beautiful enough to ignite a passion!
Designed for Purl Soho by Norah Gaughan.
- 6 (7, 7, 8) (9, 9, 10, 11) skeins of Purl Soho’s Linen Quill Worsted, 50% fine highland wool, 35% alpaca, 15% linen. Each skein is approximately 164 yards/100 grams; approximately 950 (1020, 1130, 1230) (1360, 1465, 1575, 1685) yards required. We used the colors Crocus Bud and Dark Iris.
- US 8, 16- and 24-inch circular needles
- US 6, 16- and 24-inch circular needles
- Set of US 8 double pointed needles
- Set of US 6 double pointed needles
- Stitch markers, including one unique
- Smooth scrap yarn
38¼ (41¾, 45¼, 49) (54¼, 57¾, 62¼, 65¾)
To fit actual chest circumference of approximately 30-34 (34-38, 38-42 42-46) (46-50, 50-54, 54-58, 58-62) inches with 4-6 inches of ease.
- Finished Chest Circumference: 38¼ (41¾, 45¼, 49¾) (54¼, 57¾, 62¼, 65¾) inches
- Finished Length From Shoulder To Bottom Edge: 19 (19¼, 20, 20¼) (21, 21¾, 22¼, 23) inches
- Finished Sleeve Length From Underarm: 14½ inches
Samples: The sweaters pictured here are sizes 41¾ (in Crocus Bud) and 45¼ (in Dark Iris). Crocus Bud version worn with 5¾ inches of ease.
18 stitches and 24 rows = 4 inches in stockinette stitch, after blocking
The Wherefore Art Thou Pullover Pattern is available for purchase as a PDF download only.