Ainur Berkimbayeva For Purl Soho: Laurel Leaf Pullover
Ainur Berkimbayeva‘s Laurel Leaf Pullover borrows an ancient Greek victory crown and sweeps it around the shoulders, mesmerizing and triumphant.
My goodness, knitting is amazing. How to render such vividly depicted branches and leaves? Ainur figured out that it’s all a matter of quick little two-stitch cables (aka crosses) against a backdrop of 1×1 ribbing. Nearly invisible increases maintain the illusion, and both charted and written instructions show you the way!
Knit from the top down, you start with the action-packed yoke, then settle into simple ribbing for the body and sleeves. And since it’s all knit in one piece with perfectly neat edges built right in, instead of fussy finishing, you’ll end with a victory lap!
Ainur chose our gorgeous Mulberry Merino for her Laurel Leaf Pullover. Eighty percent extra fine merino wool and 20% mulberry silk, it’s a tidy yarn that allows every thoughtful detail to shine. The color Green Spruce is a literal (and beautiful!) choice for the subject matter, but why not Cinder Gray or Red Plum, Alpine Rose or Mustard Seed? Feel free!
Designed for Purl Soho by Ainur Berkimbayeva.
Share your progress + connect with the community by tagging your pics with #PurlSoho, #PurlSohoBusyHands, and #PurlSohoLaurelLeafPullover. We can’t wait to see what you make!
- 5 (6, 7, 8) (8, 9, 9) (10, 10, 10, 11) skeins of Purl Soho’s Mulberry Merino, 80% extra fine merino wool and 20% mulberry silk. Each skein is approximately 247 yards/100 grams; or approximately 1340 (1465, 1625, 1775) (1925, 2055, 2190) (2335, 2415, 2555, 2700) total yards of a sport weight yarn required. We used the color Green Spruce.
- US 3 (3.25 mm), 16-inch circular needles
- US 4 (3.5 mm), 16-inch circular needles
- US 4, 32-inch circular needles
- A set of US 4 double pointed needles
- Stitch markers
- Scrap yarn
34 stitches and 32 rounds = 4 inches in k1, p1 rib on larger needles, after blocking
NOTE For help picking a size, please check out our Understanding Ease + Selecting Size Tutorial!
26¾ (29¾, 32½, 35¼) (38, 41, 43¾) (46½, 49½, 52¼, 55½)
To fit actual chest circumference of approximately 29–33 (32–36, 35–39, 38–42) (40–44, 43–47, 46–50) (49–53, 52–56, 55–59, 58–62) inches, with 2–6 inches of negative ease
- Finished Chest Circumference: 26¾ (29¾, 32½, 35¼) (38, 41, 43¾) (46½, 49½, 52¼, 55½) inches
- Finished Length From Back Neckline To Bottom Edge: 23½ (24, 24½, 25) (25½, 26, 26) (26¼, 26¼, 26½, 26¾) inches
- Finished Sleeve Length From Underarm: 18 inches
Sample: The sweater shown here is size 29¾, worn with 6 inches of negative ease
The Laurel Leaf Pullover is available for purchase as a PDF download only.