Baby Colorwork Cardigan In New Colors
Babies inspire some of our prettiest ideas, and when a little one is on the way or has recently arrived, we channel our best intentions into our knitting needles. One such result is our Baby Colorwork Cardigan!
Previously known as our Baby Fair Isle Cardigan, we’ve updated the name for accuracy’s sake since neither the colorwork pattern nor the yarn actually come from the Shetland Islands. The yarn, in fact, is our incredibly soft and cozy Posy, a machine-washable blend of merino, cashmere, and nylon, perfect for the messy work of being a baby.
In addition to the name, we have also brought this pattern’s skein requirements and colors up to date. Posy is now only available in a new 50-gram skein size and also has a brand new palette that introduces five gorgeous new colors, including the pretty range of blues in the version shown here.
Aside from these changes, our Baby Colorwork Cardigan remains the same crowd favorite with its super simple bottom up, one-piece construction. A built-in button band means no picking up stitches, and crochet-loop buttonholes save the complication of keeping track of when to knit one in. So, instead of fussy details, your sense of purpose can be all heart… The best part of knitting for babies!
Designed by Purl Soho designer, Whitney Van Nes.
Share your progress + connect with the community by tagging your pics with #PurlSoho, #PurlSohoBusyHands, #PurlSohoBabyColorworkCardigan, and #PurlSohoPosy. We can’t wait to see what you make!
- Main Color (MC): 2 (2, 3, 4) skeins of Purl Soho’s Posy, 75% superwash merino, 15% cashmere, and 10% nylon. Each skein is 159 yards/ 50 grams; approximately 245 (310, 395, 510) total yards required. (NOTE: We no longer offer Posy, but choose from one of our other fingering weight yarns.)
- Contrast Colors (CC) A, B, C, and D: 1 skein of Posy. Each skein is approximately 159 yards/ 50 grams; approximately 10 (10, 15, 15) yards of A and B; 10 yards of C; and 5 yards of D required.
We used the following colors . . .
- Main Color, Mourning Dove
- Contrast Color A, Maple Wood; Color B, Pink Papaya; Color C, Azalea Glow; Color D, Pink Nectar
- Main Color, Drizzle Gray
- Contrast Color A, Blue Dusk; Color B, Bellflower Blue; Color C, Cloudless Sky; Color D, Heirloom White
You’ll also need…
- US 2 (3 mm), 20- or 24-inch circular needles
- A set of US 2 double pointed needles
- US 3 (3.25 mm), 20- or 24-inch circular needles
- A set of US 3 double pointed needles
- Stitch markers
- Stitch holders or scrap yarn
- A size B (2.25 mm) crochet hook
- Two to six 3/8-inch buttons. We used Purl Soho’s Small Round Buttons in Khaki and Gray.
- A Baby Colorwork Cardigan pattern
28 stitches and 39 rows = 4 inches in stockinette stitch, using larger needles
Newborn (6 Months, 1 Year, 2 Years)
- Finished Chest Circumference: 17 (19, 21, 23) inches
- Finished Body Length From Bottom Edge To Underarm: 5 (6, 7, 8½) inches
- Finished Body Length From Bottom Edge To Top Of Shoulder: 8½ (9¾, 11, 12¾) inches
- Finished Sleeve Length: 5½ (6, 7, 9) inches
SAMPLES: The sweaters pictured here are sizes 6 Months and 2 Years.
The Baby Colorwork Cardigan Pattern is available for purchase as a PDF download only.