Many years ago Purl Soho co-owner, Joelle Hoverson, was kind enough to teach me how to make a quilt. Once a week I went to her apartment where she showed me how to measure, cut, piece, baste, quilt and bind.
As I absorbed all of these new rules, everything from tiled floors to city maps became an inspiration for a potential quilt. I began to see the world differently, and my quilt-making journey had begun!
I am absolutely thrilled to now pass on to beginner quilters the knowledge Joelle passed on to me. Our Learn To Sew A Patchwork Quilt Pattern For Beginners walks you through every step of the quilt-making process, from cutting your first pieces to sewing on the last inch of binding. The Pattern offers four beautiful palettes as inspiration and gives you instructions for four different layout options!
If you know how to thread your sewing machine and to sew in a straight line, you are ready to get started. I hope you enjoy the journey as much as I have! -Molly
To make your own Learn to Sew a Patchwork Quilt, you will need…
- Six ½-yard pieces of 100% cotton fabric in six colors for the patchwork squares and binding. Choose from four pretty palettes, shown above, clockwise from top left: Coral, Cloud, Canyon, and Lemongrass.
- 1 yard of 100% cotton fabric for the backing fabric
- Two 110-yard spools of 100% cotton thread
- A 36 x 46-inch piece of 100% cotton batting in a thin weight
- A hand-sewing needle
- Straight patchwork pins
- Curved safety pins
- A “color catcher” for laundering
- Our full-color Learn To Sew A Patchwork Quilt Pattern
You’ll also need…
- A Rotary Cutting Tool Kit, which includes…
- A rotary cutter
- A 12½-inch square rotary cutting ruler
- A 6½ x 24½-inch rotary cutting ruler
- A large rotary cutting mat
Finished Dimensions: 32 x 40 inches