Big Brioche Turtleneck
Knit up in our 100% undyed Big Good Wool from the Andean highlands, our Big Brioche Turtleneck will keep you warm and cozy whether you’re shepherding sheep at high altitudes or just trying to get through winter with grace.
Brioche stitch is a classic pattern whose deep and lofty texture comes from some well-placed yarn overs. We love that its distinctive ribs carve lovely lines along the sleeves and around the shoulders.
You work this sweater from the bottom up, front and back separately, then seam the two pieces together at the shoulders and collar. Pick up each sleeve and work it down flat, and finally, sew up the sleeve and side seams (leaving a little split hem detail at the bottom)… And ta da!
Big, cozy, and brimming with style, this Big Brioche Turtleneck is the hug you’ll crave when winter comes to town!
Designed for Purl Soho by Adam Aronowitz.
Share your progress + connect with the community by tagging your pics with #PurlSoho, #PurlSohoBusyHands, and #PurlSohoBigBriochePullover. We can’t wait to see what you make!
- 5 (5, 6, 6, 7) (7, 8, 8, 9) skeins of Purl Soho’s Big Good Wool, 100% Andean highland wool, undyed. Each skein is approximately 274 yards/ 200 grams; approximately 1175 (1315, 1420, 1580, 1685) (1850, 1985, 2150, 2280) yards required. We used the color Heirloom White. (Please Note: Big Good Wool is no longer available. To view our full line of Purl Soho yarns, click here! Be sure to check your gauge when substituting yarns.)
- US 10 (6 mm), 24- or 32-inch circular needles (depending on size you are making)
- Removable stitch markers
- Stitch marker
12½ stitches and 36 rows = 4 inches in Brioche Stitch
NOTE To count rows in Brioche Stitch, be aware that each visible stitch is actually two rows.
NOTE For help picking a size, please check out our Understanding Ease + Selecting Size Tutorial!
38 (41½, 45½, 49½, 53) (57, 61, 64½, 68½)
To fit actual chest circumference of 30–33 (34–37, 38–41, 42–45, 45–48 (49–52, 53–56, 57–60, 61–64) inches, with approximately 5–8 inches of ease
- Finished Chest Circumference: 38 (41½, 45½, 49½, 53) (57, 61, 64½, 68½) inches
- Finished Length From Shoulder: 23¼ (25, 25½, 27, 27¾) (29¼, 30¼, 31¾, 32½) inches
- Finished Sleeve Length From Underarm: 17 (17, 17, 17, 16½) (16½, 16, 16, 15½) inches
Sample: The sweater pictured here is size 49½ modeled with 11 inches of ease.
Download the Big Brioche Turtleneck Pattern here!