Frequently Asked Questions: Classes
- Where are your classes located?
- Most of our classes are held at our Purl Soho shop in New York City’s Soho neighborhood, however machine sewing classes and some special workshops are held at our studio located at 403 Broome Street, a short distance from our shop. The description of the class you are attending will specifiy which location you should go to!
- How do I enroll in one of your classes?
- Is there a deadline for signing up ?
- In consideration of our teachers' schedules, if a class has no sign-ups by the night before the first class, we have to cancel the class. On the other hand, if a class has at least one person sign up, then anyone else can sign up right until the time of the first class.
- Are the class supplies included in the class fee?
- No, you’ll also need to purchase your class supplies. You can find your class supply list here. Just click on your class and then its Product Details tab.
Sewing machines and weaving looms are provided for your use during class time, and all other supplies are available for purchase in our shop or right here at purlsoho.com.
- Please note that classes are sometimes held before or after store hours. Unfortunately, you won’t be able to make purchases during those times, so please plan accordingly.
- Please, also, have your yarn wound into a ball or your fabric washed before the start of your class. That way everyone can get right to work!
- What if I have to cancel or miss my class?
- If you find you have to cancel your class and it is more than 7 days before the first session, you will receive a full refund. If it is 7 to 2 days (48 hours) before the first session, you can either receive a store credit or register for another class. If it is within 48 hours before the first session, you will not be able to receive a refund or a store credit.
Unfortunately, if you miss a class, there are no available make up classes.
- Who are the teachers?
- Our talented teachers are members of our retail team and other good friends of Purl Soho. Every instructor has a specific corner of the craft world to share with you, and all of them are friendly, fun and very patient!
- Which classes are coming up?
- Are private lessons available?
- Private lessons are available at a rate of $50 an hour/ per person and are held at the Purl Soho store.
If you are interested in setting up a lesson, please contact Purl Soho or email Allison, our Class Coordinator, at [email protected].
If you are traveling to NYC, we’d be happy to try to arrange a private lesson that is ideal for your timeline! Please give us 2-3 weeks advance notice.
- Can children take classes?
- Our classes are designed for students ages 16 and older, but if you are younger or would like to sign up someone younger, please contact our Class Coordinator, Allison, at [email protected], and she will see if you can be accommodated!
If you have a specific class-related question not answered here, please direct your inquiry to our Class Coordinator, Allison. You can contact her at [email protected]. Alternatively, please call Purl Soho at (212) 420-8796 during store hours (12-6pm Saturday-Sunday; 12-7pm Monday-Friday, EST).