Denyse Schmidt is a renowned quilt designer and a great friend of Purl Soho! Especially loved for her colorful and improvisational approach based on traditional designs, her quilts always have a distinctly modern look and spirit of creativity and fun. Learn how she does it at this special hands-on day of sewing and learning by making your own version of her Hills ‘n’ Hollers quilt pattern. Denyse will discuss ways to organize color, fabric, and layout in order to create an individualized quilt that's all your own. She'll also demonstrate the techniques of basting and needle-turn appliqué. It is sure to be a lovely, lively day of hand-stitching and fun! NOTE: This is a hand sewing workshop. No machine sewing experience necessary!
- Skills Covered: Hands-on instruction in creating your very own Hills 'n' Hollers Quilt, including the improvisational process for composition and stitching, options for overall composition and layout, discussion of continuing the project at home to make a large quilt or finishing workshop blocks for a small wall hanging or pillow project
- Experience Required: Basic hand sewing skills
- Special Guest Instructor: Denyse Schmidt
- Location: Please note that this full day workshop will be held at Purl Soho's Studio Space, a short distance from our shop. Please meet us at 403 Broome Street, New York City!
- Materials Needed: Students are required to purchase background fabric, coordinating thread and quilt batting prior to the workshop (detailed information will be emailed upon registration). All other necessary materials (including the pictured Ludlow Fat Quarter Bundle from Free Spirit!) will be supplied, and participants will have the opportunity to visit Purl Soho to purchase any materials to finish their quilts at home!
- Contact: If you have questions, please check out our Class FAQs; or call us at (212) 420-8796,12-6 weekends, 12-7 weekdays; or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.